[CCWG-ACCT] ICANN Board comments on Recommendation 6

Greg Shatan gregshatanipc at gmail.com
Wed Jan 27 05:08:55 UTC 2016

A few quick and non-excessive comments:

On Tue, Jan 26, 2016 at 11:19 PM, Chris Disspain <ceo at auda.org.au> wrote:

> Mathieu, All,
>
> Leaving aside any discussion on the principle of putting this in as a
> by-law, the draft text (which I understand to be actual proposed by-law
> text)

​I'm (still) unclear on what might be meant by "actual proposed by-law
text".  Have our counsel approved this as usable text, or will this be
subject to further drafting by counsel?​

> below seems to me to be deficient.
>
> This Bylaw
> provision will not enter into force until a Framework of Interpretation is
> developed as part of “Work Stream 2” by the CCWG-Accountability or another
> Cross Community Working Group chartered for such purpose by one or more
> Supporting Organizations or Advisory Committees. ICANN shall support the
> establishment and work of such a Group to facilitate development of the
> Framework of Interpretation as promptly as possible.
>

> Any such framework needs to the approved not just developed.

​Agree, but this is merely a drafting point. We should also clarify who the
approver(s) is/are.  Is it the Chartering Organizations or is it the Board​

> It would not be sufficient for such a development to occur in a group
> chartered by one or more of the SOs and ACs. Such a group would need to be
> chartered in the same way as the they CCWG.

​This should be a broadly chartered WG.  A single SO or AC would not be
sufficient.  That said, it should not be a requirement that all of the CCWG
chartering organizations have to charter this group too.​

​(And of course there is always the option of continuing the work in the
CCWG/WS2.)​