[CCWG-ACCT] Regarding mission statement and human rights

Nigel Roberts nigel at channelisles.net
Thu Jan 28 11:18:16 UTC 2016

With respect, I disagree 100% with Tatiana's position.

Whilst I have serious reservations -- based on historical behaviour of
the then Board -- that a commitment based on a Board committment will be
upheld, I still think that trusting the Board to deliver on this in a
Framework/WS2 is preferable to a by-law designed by committee of the
loudest objectors, which on a strict construction (i.e. taking a strict
legal interpretation) complete relieves the corporation of any
obligations to respect human rights *other than those right that have
"domestic horizontal application") .

We need to place it at the heart of ICANN's approach to its special
world-wide role.

I suggest WS2 may even examine the UDHR in detail and compare it to
ICANN at s work. You will probably find that except for the three or four
core Rights whic are REALLY important to ICANN;s work most of the others
are either obviously inapplicable, or tritely applicable.

I am therefore surprised to find myself largely agreeing with the
Board's approach, than the dog's breakfast that proposal seems to have
reached.