[CCWG-ACCT] Recommendation 11, 2/3 board threshold, GAC consensus, and finishing

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Thu Jan 28 21:30:19 UTC 2016

On Thu, Jan 28, 2016 at 09:04:36PM +0000, Drazek, Keith wrote:

> My understanding is that the CCWG proposal can be finalized and approved with 4 of 5 chartering organizations in support. So, a single organization in opposition *should* not scuttle the package.

This is formally true, but as you note there are some other scenarios
that are less obviously good.

But I think the practical consequences of having obvious opposition or
less-than-obvious general support go deeper.  After all, we still have
to get the unified proposal through the USG, and we're very late.  The
more uncertainty there is, the more likely there is to be additional
scrutiny, requests for more information, attempts to seek additional
compromise, and so on.  If we can't line up behind something and say,
"Yep, ok," we will have to face more questions.  That means more delay
and more risk.

We simply cannot afford risk any more.  We need to hammer out a
compromise people can live with and move on.

Best regards,

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at anvilwalrusden.com