[CCWG-ACCT] Recommendation 11, 2/3 board threshold, GAC consensus, and finishing

Phil Corwin psc at vlaw-dc.com
Fri Jan 29 00:35:16 UTC 2016

Some further thoughts:

It is disappointing that the GAC’s comments on the Third Draft Proposal did not take a position on Recommendation 11, or even provide useful details regarding the reason(s) why some GAC members supported or opposed it. That shortfall places the rest of the community in the position of having to speculate on the reasons as we attempt to resolve a matter centering on the GAC’s role in a post-transition ICANN.

However, that shortfall on a matter in which the GAC has a very large stake reinforces my own experience with the GAC since I have engaged on ICANN matters -- which is that the GAC has difficulty reaching consensus, and that when it does it talks a considerable amount of time to get there. That’s perfectly understandable as the GAC is composed of representatives of sovereign nation states with widely divergent perspectives, and that GAC members  cannot take a position until it is approved by the government officials they report to.

In short, the GAC tends to lag considerably behind the rest of the ICANN community in the timing of providing its official view – and in many instances is unable to reach consensus as presently defined. The only way to shorten that timeline would be for the GAC to change its definition of consensus to a lower threshold of agreement – or even begin operating by majority vote—and it seems evident that the large majority of the community would not wish for such a development.

Once it is finally rendered, the Board’s acceptance or rejection of GAC advice depends on less the difference between a majority versus two-thirds voting threshold than the selection of Board members who have allegiance to ICANN’s Mission, Commitments and Core Values, and to an Internet Governance narrative that welcomes governmental advice but rejects governmental control.

Given that a GAC operating under the definition of consensus memorialized in Recommendation 11 will almost always have a more difficult task in reaching consensus, and will take substantially longer to do so, than other Chartering organizations, my real concern is that including the GAC within the empowered community may substantially hinder the potential application of accountability measures in situations where time is of the essence. Therefore, while shaping the (hopefully final) Supplemental Proposal we need to make sure that the escalation process will be able to proceed at requisite speed even when one of the empowered entities is subject to the internal dynamics of the GAC and will often be unable to render a yay or nay.

Philip S. Corwin, Founding Principal
Virtualaw LLC
1155 F Street, NW
Suite 1050