[CCWG-ACCT] Regarding mission statement and human rights

Bruce Tonkin Bruce.Tonkin at melbourneit.com.au
Fri Jan 29 01:16:26 UTC 2016

Hello Nigel,

>>  With respect, the point that there is no applicable law has NOT been addressed, it has been ignored repeated.

I think fundamentally as a global organization built on the multi-stakeholder model - the "applicable" law should be the rules we put in our bylaws.

This is why we think that the effort should be on identifying the rules that ARE applicable to Internet protocol parameters (including IP addresses and domain names) and building those into the bylaws through a framework of interpretation.

The "court" will then be the IRP to make sure that ICANN is abiding by the rules in the bylaws.

I gather the reluctance to follow this path is a concern that this work will not happen.    The Board can do what it can to commit to working with the community to develop the set of rules, assuming we can all reach agreement on what those rules are.

Regards,
Bruce Tonkin