[CCWG-ACCT] Interesting Comment from Today's Politico Morning Tech on Budget Bill and DOTCOM Act

Greg Shatan gregshatanipc at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 20:37:22 UTC 2016

*PALLONE TALKS ICANN, ENCRYPTION AND MORE *- MT sat down recently with
Energy and Commerce Committee ranking member Frank Pallone to chat about
all things tech and telecom. The big takeaways: there's an appropriations
fight brewing...

Q: The House appropriations bill for the Commerce Department has a
provision that would keep the NTIA from transitioning its domain name
system oversight role to ICANN later this year. How are you working to
strip that provision from whatever government funding bill passes?

A: We're definitely going to push to try to make sure that whatever omnibus
or [continuing resolution] is done, that it's not included in there. I'm
hoping that it gets taken out before [a final bills goes to the floor] and
that we just have regular order and we get the DOTCOM Act passed in the
Senate. (An aide chimed in that Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi's office
"feels as strongly as we do that this is a bad one, so we've coordinated.")