[CCWG-ACCT] The Economist | A virtual turf war: The scramble for .africa

Nigel Roberts nigel at channelisles.net
Sun Jun 19 06:46:42 UTC 2016

Jordan
'
What you say is 100% correct.

But is 100% irrelevant to the point the article makes.

Which is that Africa once again - this time in cyberspace - is subject
to the ultimate authority of the judiciary of a 'colonial power'.

The history of the Dominions, such as Canada, Australia and NZ and their
evolution into independent nations between the mid-19th century, and
reaching full independence in the 1980s was such a gradual and
non-violent process that it might be hard for me and you to understand
the symbolism and sensitivities fully.

Of course there always needs to be a judicial tribunal where process
errors in international contracts can be appealed. In shipping, this is
commonly London/English law, NY/New York law, or Cairo.

Personally I think that the California courts are quite well placed to
keep ICANN on the straight and narrow, much as I myself think London
would be better.

But, it seems to me, from the point of view of Africa, no matter what
the technical (i.e. legal) advantages in the Rule of Law, the optics are
unfortunate, and that appears to be the point of the article.