[CCWG-ACCT] The Economist | A virtual turf war: The scramble for .africa

Guru Acharya gurcharya at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 17:40:40 UTC 2016

Hi Phil,

Your five points arguing that the California jurisdiction is the best are
profound but they unfortunately reduce the debate to a simple question of
"which jurisdiction is best". There are many other ways of looking at the
debate and I hope you would appreciate the concerns of emerging countries
and seek to find a middle ground while framing the debate.

I first explain your lens of looking at the issue and then propose
Teubner's Reflexive Law approach as the way forward.

Your lens is what Teubner calls "Formal Law" and thus the simple question
you ask is "which jurisdiction is the best?" And thus your simple
conclusion is that US (California) is the best jurisdiction for the five
points listed by you. All five points unarguably correct.

The first alternative lens is "Substantive Law" and the question you would
ask is purposive substantively - "what are the characteristics of the ideal
jurisdiction and can we get the US/alternate/international jurisdiction to
embrace those ideal characteristics?" This is what Parminder appears to be
arguing for. Unfortunately this too is shallow and would fall victim to the
black swan scenario since most of our arguments are based on inductive
reasoning arising from historical observations.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_swan_theory

The second alternative lens is "Reflexive Law" and that is the approach I
suggest as the way forward.

In the reflexive approach, you would ask "what are the institutional
mechanisms or procedures to ensure that jurisdiction issue can be addressed
in an adverse situation where the US jurisdiction is longer tenable,
however rare it may it?" In the absolute rarest of rare cases that the US
legislature or judiciary try to interfere with community decisions (the
black swan scenario), how would ICANN ensure that this interference is
contained/minimised? What are the institutional mechanisms or procedures
for addressing the situation where the US (or any other) jurisdiction is no
longer hospitable/ideal for the ICANN policymaking or IANA functions? These
are the questions that we should be asking in the WS2 on jurisdiction.

Thus the focus needs to be on building a procedure/institutional mechanism
for addressing adverse situations that can continuously self-correct the
community to the right path rather than presuming that there is one
perfect/ideal/best jurisdiction or scenario where no black swans exist.

There are numerous Reflexive Law strategies.

1) The first simple strategy is an information strategy wherein ICANN must
publicly disclose any correspondence between US entities (executive,
judicial or legislative) and ICANN.

2) The second strategy could be procedural. An objective index could be
created that publicly marks the level of interference by US entities
(executive, judicial or legislative). Once the threshold is crossed on that
index, a process to change jurisdiction (perhaps the separation process) is
initiated.

3) The third strategy could be to build redundancy. In this, there exists a
duplicate PTI in an alternate jurisdiction that performs all IANA functions
redundantly in parallel and is made authoritative in the rare scenario that
the US jurisdiction can not be trusted.

While the list is illustrative, I hope it helps frame the debate better
than the simple question of "which jurisdiction is best".