[CCWG-ACCT] premature jurisdiction debates

Phil Corwin psc at vlaw-dc.com
Wed Jun 22 20:41:46 UTC 2016

Agree with Greg. I’m not familiar with the details of the Syria litigation, but the one involving Iran was brought under a US law that allows for seizure of foreign assets for the benefit of the victims (or families) of state-sponsored terrorism. The district court found against the plaintiff and the lawsuit has not been supported by the US Government (I believe it is on appeal).

The .africa dispute involves ICANN but is primarily a dispute between two private parties seeking that gTLD, and looks to be nearing conclusion.

While the type and outcome of such litigation will vary by national jurisdiction, lawsuits of this type are possible so long as ICANN is domiciled in a nations-state. I would hope there is general acceptance that ICANN should be subject to some body of law (or bodies, as Greg points out for its non-US offices) and not exist in a law-free zone.

Philip S. Corwin, Founding Principal
Virtualaw LLC
1155 F Street, NW
Suite 1050