[CCWG-ACCT] premature jurisdiction debates

Greg Shatan gregshatanipc at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 20:53:41 UTC 2016

In *Weinstein v. Islamic Republic of Iran*, the plaintiffs attempted to
enforce the judgment by seizing the .ir TLD, claiming that it was an asset
of Iran.  The US Department of Justice filed a brief opposing the seizure,
stating that a TLD is not property or an asset, and that the TLD was beyond
the reach of the US law governing seizure of certain foreign assets.
 (ICANN submitted similar arguments to the court.)  The federal judge
hearing the case ruled against this attempt, siding with ICANN and DOJ.  Is
this what you are calling U.S. "interference"?  Would it have been better
if DOJ had not filed a brief?

As Phil points out, the case is currently on appeal to the D.C. Circuit.
It was argued but has not yet been decided.

Greg

On Wed, Jun 22, 2016 at 4:36 PM, farzaneh badii <farzaneh.badii at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Rubens
>
> I think the interference in .ir and Syria case is quite different from
> .africa. , .In .ir  case the claimant had a judgment against iran which it
> had obtained through the us courts relying on US laws and wanted to enforce
> the judgement through attaching .ir  to the claimant. I call that
> interference. In .africa two competing organizations have a dispute over
> the delegation of .africa. I am not sure if we can compare the two.
> On 22 Jun 2016 22:14, "Rubens Kuhl" <rubensk at nic.br> wrote:
>
>> Dear Phil,
>>
>> I can´t fully follow your segmentation
>>
>> I’ll start that discussion by stating that it would likely include
>>> interference in ICANN’s policymaking process (outside of advocacy within
>>> the GAC) or trying to block or compel a change in the root zone, through
>>> methods that are inconsistent with the Bylaws.
>>>

>> Agree
>>

>>> I don’t think it should include private litigation brought against ICANN
>>> and heard in state or federal court; or law enforcement actions, such as
>>> bringing an antitrust action if there is an allegation of illicit pricing
>>> decisions,
>>>

>> why not? Who is going to hear the case set liabilities and eventually
>> compensation????
>>
>> or criminal charges against an ICANN employee for embezzlement, etc.
>>>

>> Agree
>>

>>> Philip S. Corwin, Founding Principal
>>> Virtualaw LLC
>>> 1155 F Street, NW