[CCWG-ACCT] premature jurisdiction debates

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sat Jun 25 10:25:36 UTC 2016

On Thursday 23 June 2016 10:25 AM, Nigel Roberts wrote:
> They don't have contempt of court laws in the US anymore?

I happy to explain if the prospect of that kind of thing is your only,
or the major, issue with my proposal. But before that, we need some more
consistency in the arguments here on each side. One hears implications
that somehow the US State - its three branches, including the courts -
will somehow perhaps be very mindful in applying/ enforcing even the
normal full range of 'hard' and necessary laws on ICANN. And then there
is now this argument now that courts may even use that seldom employed
and rather discretionary powers of bringing up contempt of court. Just
pointing that the two arguments go against one another.

Meanwhile, on the substantial point. No I dont see a court using the
contempt proceedings if ICANN is established as a bifocal organisation,
simultaneously registered in two jurisdictions, with the US one being
the preferred first instant, till some criteria of 'policy interference'
(we will name it more nicely and less offensively to the US
jurisdiction) get met requiring it to change its policies in a manner
not admissible under its bylaws, whereby it immediately and
automatically shifts its second jurisdiction. The act of shifting itself
can come, meaning decided, from outside the US.... I am sure this can be
worked out.

So, I see 3 options

(1) US unilaterally forbears application of its jurisdiction over ICANN,
through a domestic law. A kind of arrangement that Switzerland has with
the Red Cross, but more contextual.

(2) A backup jurisdiction system in another country, as a part of the
bylaws, which kicks in as soon as 'policy interference' criteria are met.

(3) Incorporation under international law, based on a new treaty that
fully preserves current ICANN function and processes.

I prefer the last option because it can bring in elements of much needed
external judicial oversight through a treaty based new court system
(taking ICJ's help of otherwise) and ensure compliance to international
law in various areas - trade, health, education, IP, etc, as Internet
becomes an important infrastructure of all social systems.

But other options could also be considered.

parminder