[CCWG-ACCT] premature jurisdiction debates

Jordan Carter jordan at jordancarter.org.nz
Mon Jun 27 09:28:07 UTC 2016

Parminder,

On Sunday, 26 June 2016, parminder <parminder at itforchange.net> wrote:

> On Sunday 26 June 2016 06:08 PM, parminder wrote:
>
> Jordan
>
> You construct law as something fully technical when it actually is
> basically political, that is the major difference between your approach and
> mine.
>

> Wrong. Law is power, in its essence, nothing more and nothing less. I
don't know any way to see it differently. Please don't make assumptions
about my approach — we have barely exchanged anything on this or any other
topic.

In this arena tho, I don't see the public or founding law under which Icann
is established as being very relevant.

> What is the fact can however been seen in actual implications. Even the
> laws of incorporation that enables a non profit to organise and operate
> (for which there are admittedly little inter-jurisdiction differences)
> still mean that any incorporated organisation is full subject to every one
> of the thousands of public laws, about whom there are never any options.
>

> Undoubtedly. When you choose a jurisdiction you don't choose only those
laws you want.

> As you can see, most key domain name cases that ICANN is involved in
> pertain to public laws, and I have been making elaborate comments on that
> part. I asked a few questions to Nigel, very specific ones which would
> clarify the implications of the jurisdiction issue. Neither he or anyone
> else seems to be willing to respond to them. Maybe you can try. The
> implications of the jursidiction question wil come through very clearly...

It is worth saying I am not and have never been a lawyer. :-)

> Sorry, forgot to re state the questions. This also goes with the approach
> proposed by Pedro that we look first at scenarios and their implications on
> ICANN substantive policy remits.
>
> (1) What is ICANN's plan to do if it gets adverse US court judgements in
> .xxx and .africa cases (even  .ir is still in the courts)?

What do you mean by adverse? The courts I assume would rule against Icann
if it failed to follow its own process effectively but would not seek to
impose their judgement on substantive questions. But, see above about not
being a lawyer.

> Is there no plan at all, which would be absolutely inappropriate for a
> responsible organisation. Is the plan to just accept the judgements, and
> make necessary policy/ operational changes? If so, the world needs to know
> NOW, when jurisdiction is being discussed, and not realise later when the
> event happens, the enormity of US courts dictating global DNS policy. To
> repeat, ICANN must right away put forward its plan and position in this
> regard, which is an absolutely important, actually necessary, thing to know
> for those discussing the jurisdiction question as part of work stream 2.

This isn't a question per se. But whatever the jurisdiction, the only party
responsible for making sure Icann policy frameworks are well written and
legally robust, and that Icann follows them, is Icann. To the extent it
fails in those things it invites courts of any sort to be involved.

> (2) These above are existing cases, now with 100s of new gTLDs issued to
> every kind of organisation and for every kind of activity, you are going to
> get so many more cases in the US courts of the above kind. What do you plan
> vis a vis them?

I would hope ICANN's plan is to have clear policy and processes and to
follow them. That is all it can do. It is irrelevant what jurisdiction
applies - no matter where Icann was founded or established, the courts
could still be involved.

> Also, please see the hypothetical case in my last email, if rojadirecta
> takes .rojadirecta as a closed gTLD, and after some time, as they did once
> earlier through its US based registry, US authorities want to seize the
> .rojadirecta, which can now only be done at the root file level, and for
> that sends a order to ICANN, what would ICANN do? Again, necessary to know
> while we are in middle of jurisdiction decision

I don't know. I'm not a gtld person per se. Has the US ever successfully
'siezed' a TLD? Wouldn't the relevant registry keep operating anyway and
the technical community simply 'route around the damage' if Icann or the
root zone operator complied with US attempts?

Jordan

> [...]
> given the flexibility of the CA framework. Doesn't mean they don't exist
> tho, just that I don't see them :-)
>
> If this is a matter of politics per se, then I guess I just don't identify
> with that as significant. ICANN could be incorporated as a non profit in
> New Zealand, or India, or the United States -- I really don't mind.  As
> long as the rule of law was clear, the courts were available and competent,
> and the rules allowed the organisation to be what it needs to be -- why
> does the particular nationality of the entity in its legal reality matter?
>
> best
> Jordan
>
> I think the following points are uncontroversial
>
> On 26 June 2016 at 12:16, parminder <parminder at itforchange.net
> <javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','parminder at itforchange.net');>> wrote:
>

>> On Sunday 26 June 2016 03:27 PM, Phil Corwin wrote:
>>
>> There is no international corporate law. Therefore there is no means by
>> which ICANN can be organized as a non-profit entity under international law
>> but for a treaty arrangement such as that for the Red Cross.
>>

>> Yes, it will be incorporated under special international law created for
>> that purpose.
>>
>> How long would that take,
>>

>> First we have to just decide to do it (that is all to be done at this
>> stage - which can be done within weeks or a few months of discussion), then
>> let it take the needed time as long as everyone is working in good faith...
>> It can even be done in 6-12 months, a simple basic text that incorporates
>> existing ICANN functions and processes. There is a clear incentive for
>> those who wants things changed vis a vis US jurisdiction to go through the
>> process fast, and for those preferring the status quo to keep the text
>> short and as far as possible making an exact replica of present ICANN at
>> the international level. Once we agree on these principles, things can move
>> really fast. In the interim, of course the status quo of US jurisdiction
>> remains, and so there is no loss.
>>
>> what would that cost,
>>

>> what kind of costs?
>>
>> and what is the justification?
>>

>> This brings us to the square one of this discussion, while I thought you/
>> we were moving forward. The simplest statement of the justification is: a
>> global Internet cannot be run by US law [no legislation (or adjudication)
>> without representation]. For implications of this justification, you may
>> try to answer the questions that I just asked Nigel (and had earlier also
>> asked you).
>>
>> parminder
>>

>> Philip S. Corwin, Founding Principal
>> Virtualaw LLC
>> 1155 F Street, NW
>> Suite 1050
>> Washington, DC 20004
>> 202-559-8597/Direct
>> 202-559-8750/Fax
>> 202-255-6172/Cell
>>
>> Twitter: @VlawDC
>>
>> "Luck is the residue of design." -- Branch Rickey

Jordan Carter
Wellington, New Zealand

+64 21 442 649
jordan at jordancarter.org.nz