[CCWG-ACCT] Notes-Recordings-Transcript link for CCWG Accountability Co-Chairs Meeting with Lawyer-1 March

Brenda Brewer brenda.brewer at icann.org
Fri Mar 4 08:57:42 UTC 2016

Hello all,

The notes, recordings and transcripts for CCWG Accountability co-Chairs Meeting with Lawyers , 1
March 2016,  will be available here:   https://community.icann.org/x/UxWAAw

A copy of the notes and action items may be found below.

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Brenda

Action Items

ACTION ITEM: Rosemary and Holly to review previous quotes - based on IRP experience - and determine
whether adjustments needed.

ACTION ITEM - Schedule a debrief call after Marrakech to finalize this discussion.

Notes

These high-level notes are designed to help you navigate through content of the call and do not
substitute in any way the transcript.

WS 1 implementation

Legal counsel: CoChairs should proposed a way forward for WS1 implementation upon which we can
react.

CCWG: Work plan decisions are to be made with full group. We have used legal counsel estimate in our
discussions with ICANN
finances. We anticipate setting up subgroup(s) to oversee drafting in coordination in ICANN legal -
outcome of these groups would
be sent to the full CCWG. ICANN Board is getting organized to follow this work very closely and we
expect Board engagement. Legal
expenses are being publicized. There is community concern about amount being spent. We will however
need to implement more cross-control measures. We should try to structure quotes in a way that they
are linked to the project plan. We need to be more cognizant of expenditures: initial draft and two
revisions could be a potential structure.

Legal counsel: Cost is driven by way community works. Finding consensus is hard process. It is
difficult for us to provide realistic
estimates. Developing estimates take time. Recommend to sit in a "cave" and produce a report. Ask
questions to whomever is available. Issue draft and discuss. Concerned about process where
negotiating at outset. To work
with other legal counsel is complex. To not charge for quotes, we must rethink the discounted basis

CCWG: Access to arrangements between ICANN and firms would be helpful. Discussion on rates and
quotes is desirable. Move forward
with providing quotes for "cave" approach. Questions should be prioritized for legal counsel to stay
within costframe.

ACTION ITEM: Rosemary and Holly to review previous quotes - based on IRP experience - and determine
whether adjustments needed.

WS2

We are looking towards drafting team approach for WS2 items. Intensity of legal expertise might not
reach same level as WS1 needed but will
need legal advice at some point. We will be working on framework in Marrakech.

Legal Counsel - On jurisdiction, group needs to get clarity on terminology. If do it without legal
input, it will be very confusing. It could benefit
from upfront engagement. CCWG needs to be mindful of resources and time management. More heads-up
needed.

CCWG: Vice versa - CCWG would need time indications from legal counsel to build work plan.

Board Finance Committee

Legal costs is one component of it. Some ideas are yet to be investigated. It will be an agenda item
in Marrakech. One of discusions was to
work on estimates. Board Finance committee was looking into reinforcing project management of our
group and in-house counsel reporting to IANA project. Other ideas: prioritizaton, time management
etc

Legal Counsel - not wedded to holding the pen. Sometimes easier if do work ourselves straight from
beginning.

ACTION ITEM - Schedule a debrief call after Marrakech to finalize this discussion.