[CCWG-ACCT] Lawyers' Comments on CCWG Comments on Draft New ICANN Bylaws

Alissa Cooper alissa at cooperw.in
Sun May 8 17:20:18 UTC 2016

The problem is that the premise of the edits to the comments in 2.3 is incorrect.

The implementation phase is not a time to come up with new provisions that were not in the proposals. It is the time to implement what is in the proposals. Creating new provisions and then inviting the affected parties to comment on them implies that the authority derived from the consensus that backed the proposals doesn’t exist. There was a time when the communities’ input was sought about what they needed in order to proceed with the transition — that was the proposal development phase, and that phase is over.

It is important to realize the precedent that the bylaws process is setting for the rest of the implementation phase. If the bylaws do get approved by the Board at the end of this month, it will probably be the first legal document to get finalized in the implementation phase. The SLAs with the RIRs and the IETF have not yet been agreed by the parties; the IPR commitments are in the works; the RZMA contract has yet to be published; the PTI doesn’t exist nor does the ICANN-PTI contract. So if the precedent that gets set with the bylaws is that each of these document processes opens a new opportunity to add provisions or deviate from the consensus proposals, that strikes me as a rather dangerous precedent given that what we’ve all been driving toward is finalization of everything by mid-August. I do not believe there is either the time or the will to re-open the consensus positions as established in the proposals.

It may be that the CCWG is not highly concerned about the precedent being set for any of these other documents since its main piece of implementation work is the bylaws. But thus far I have felt that the operational communities, the ICG, and the CCWG have mutually benefited from supporting the same tenets to legitimize the processes we’ve followed. Respect for hard-fought consensus is probably the most important of those tenets. So I think it would be a shame for the CCWG to signal at this point that community consensus as reflected in the proposals is not important, and that is indeed what the edits to the comments in 2.3 signal.

Alissa