[CCWG-ACCT] latest letter from Cruz et al FYI

Nigel Roberts nigel at channelisles.net
Sun May 22 17:11:46 UTC 2016

It's a way to create a property interest in the common-law world, called
  'proprietary estoppel'.

Let's say I'm a farmer.  I have someone who is a labourer.
He works for me for many years for no, or minimal payment.

This is because I say to him "don't worry, my friend, since I have no
children, I'm leaving you the whole farm in my Will." After I die, it
turns out I forgot to ever write the Will.

So the whole farm will either go to very distant relatives of mine, or
to the Queen.

But because of the representation, and the reliance on it, property
rights to own the farm could have been created over the farm in favour
of the labourer. (But all the elements must be present -- that's a
matter of the facts, not law). It's like legal magic, really!

It's a bit of a shifting sands too, because a US court may address
equitable right like s differently to an English court, and an
Australian court could differ from both of them.

But because of the common heritage, they are tributaries of the same
river, and do 'mingle their waters'.

Application of the concept is left as an exercise for the reader.