[CCWG-ACCT] New ICANN Bylaws

Bruce Tonkin Bruce.Tonkin at melbourneit.com.au
Sun May 29 06:17:22 UTC 2016

Hello Phil,

>>   'The Board is committed to working with the community to identify the portions of the CCWG-Accountability recommendations that can be implemented in the event that it is determined that ICANN's obligations to perform the IANA Functions will remain under contract with NTIA."

The only ones that would not be implemented are any that conflict with any decision that the NTIA reaches with respect to the NTIA agreement with ICANN.   Any related changes to the new bylaws will need to go through the full community process.

In the meantime our focus is now on getting ready for implementation of all the new bylaws.   As noted separately - this involves  setting up the various entities  - e.g the Empowered Community nonprofit association, the IRP standing panel, the detailed rules and procedures for the new IRP, the customer standing committee, etc.   There is a lot of work still to be done in the next 3 months or so to get ready for full implementation of these bylaws.

In the meantime we should follow as much of the new procedures as possible.   E.g. when the ICANN Board approves the budget it should notify the SOs and ACs, and they can certainly get together and inform the Board if they feel the budget  should be rejected.

Regards,
Bruce Tonkin