[CCWG-ACCT] Fwd: ICANN's US jurisdiction

Norman Caldera ncaldera at estudiocaldera.com
Tue Nov 15 15:56:42 UTC 2016

This is in support of Avri Doria's recent intervention. Although I am in
full support of the status quo, I believe that putting our heads in the
sand and ignoring dissent (specially if they keep coming back), will not
help to bring cloture.

1. To those who are annoyed that a subject that is "settled" somehow keeps
coming back, I say, there may be a reason for the issue to come back, and
we may want to look into those "reasons" to difuse them before they grow
into "issues.".

2. It is no wonder that France was the first G-8 country to question
ICANN's jurisdiction after the debate on DOT Vin in one of the British
Isles 2012 or 2013.ICANN meetings There were reacting not only to the gTLD
allocation itself, seeking a "source of law issue" but to dispute
settlement mechanisms which heretofore gave great prominence to the
International Chamber of Commerce's dispute resolution body. They may feel
displaced by WIPO, which is a UN Organization with all the shortcomings
associated with the one country, one vote modus operandum..

3. Under common law, as well as under Customary International Law, it is
easy to undertand and accept the present ICANN status. However Civil Law
countries have difficulties undertanding and applying what they consider a
"de facto" and not "de jure" status.

4. I am mentioning this only for the record, not because I spouse a
solution like it, but for the sake of illustration. The discrepancy between
Customary International Law and Written Code has been adressed through the
United Nations Comission that Codifies International Law. The UN Convention
on the law of the seas, for example, was written based on International
Law, mandatory under "Erga Omnes".

5. Lawyers from Texas and Louisiana could be best suited to look at this
problem from the clash of "Sources of Law" perspective and suggest issues
for discussion and resolution in this group before they surface again under
Indian, Chinese, Japanese or African legal systems. It will help all of us
to be better prepared to defend our clients' interest.

6. I am even more worried, under present arrangements, to see Ms Olga
Cavalli presiding over what ammounts to a GAC re-interpretation of
international law on Intellectual Property regarding the relationship
between Geographic signs and Trademarks (as they relate to Domain Names).
The discussion does not belong to the GAC; which should be declared "Forum
non conveniens". ie. Not the venue to air those issues..

7. For that reason, I fully support Colin's effort (I call it White Paper)
summarizing the role of INTA in support of our clients and the public
interest offering our support to explain the role of IP under international
law. A spanish translation (not official) has been sent with the original
to all the Registrar's in Central America and to the SIECA Secretariat.
Copy of the translation will be carried/delivered to the chair of the
internet committee in Hollywood.