[CCWG-ACCT] Notes, recordings and transcript for WS2 Human Rights Subgroup Meeting # 25 | 4 April 2017

MSSI Secretariat mssi-secretariat at icann.org
Wed Apr 5 17:14:51 UTC 2017

Hello all,

Please see the notes, recordings, and transcript for the CCWG Accountability WS2 Human Rights Subgroup Meeting #25 here; https://community.icann.org/x/4bnRAw

A copy of the notes may be found below.

Thank you.

With kind regards,
Brenda Brewer, Projects & Operations Assistant
Multistakeholder Strategy & Strategic Initiatives (MSSI)
[cid:image001.png at 01D2AE06.39841540]

Notes (includes relevant text from chat):
12 participants at start of call.
1. Administrivia-Roll call, absentees, SoIs, etc
Niels ten Oever - No changes to SOIs.
2. Second Reading (of two) of the Considerations document
Niels ten Oever – (going through the Google doc -
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1rDYyuXacrSYDtlSK5JqNQe7XOX2LbM86AzfDay8zpoE/edit )
Niels ten Oever: (typo correction) A particular Human Right should not be considered in isolation since Human Rights are universal, indivisible, interdependent, and interrelated.
Kavouss Arasteh - Uncertain we should use METHOD applies - there is no METHOD. Delete METHODS FOR use THE DEVELOPMENT OF ANY NEW....
Niels ten Oever: The development of any new policies or frameworks that may be needed to apply the Human Rights Core Value will be dictated by the type of policy and how ICANN the organization and the community develop those policies.
Andrew Mack: sounds good to me as well
Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO): fine by me also
David McAuley (RySG) 2: fine here
Kavouss Arasteh - PROPOSES to whom? suggest remove PROPOSE and use DEVELOP.
Niels ten Oever: In order to do so ICANN the organization should develop a framework, which should include multistakeholder involvement, and regular review.
David McAuley (RySG) 2: propose includes the community more clearly doesn't it
Andrew Mack - PROPOSES TO THE COMMUNITY BROADLY.
Kavouss Arasteh - that works.
Niels ten Oever: In order to do so ICANN the organization should propose a framework to the community, which should include multistakeholder involvement in its development, and regular review.
David McAuley (RySG) 2: sounds good
Kavouss Arasteh - always have had problem with the last para. Not 100% satisfied but accept as the best we can get.
David McAuley (RySG) 2: Nice comment Kavouss, I also think this last para is good
Niels ten Oever - this completes our second reading. Unless there are objections I will merge this with the FOI and submit to the plenary for first reading.
Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO): excellent
Andrew Mack: double dip
Markus Kummer: Well done, all!
Niels ten Oever: fulll consensus of the subgroup, congratulations everyone
Kavouss Arasteh - We need to avoid modifications in plenary - this was hard won consensus here and any changes proposed in the plenary need to be brought back to this group and would suggest we make this clear in the plenary.
Niels ten Oever - agree - we will have to defend these documents in plenary.
3. AOB
Kavouss Arasteh - Great thanks to our rapporteur and members of the drafting team, as well as the secretariat.
Andrew Mack: here here
David McAuley (RySG) 2: Agree with Kavouss
Niels ten Oever: Fully agree
Markus Kummer: +1 Kavouss - well said!
Andrew Mack: well led Niels
Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO): good job so far people...  important work... now needs to go to the next steps with Plenary and Pc
Niels ten Oever - lets not forget its not then end - if we get through the plenary we then go to public comment. Adjourned.