[CCWG-ACCT] Notes, recordings, transcript for WS2 Staff Accountability Subgroup Meeting #14_ 13 April 2017

MSSI Secretariat mssi-secretariat at icann.org
Thu Apr 13 21:42:26 UTC 2017

Hello all,

The notes, recordings and transcripts for CCWG Accountability WS2 Staff Accountability Subgroup Meeting #14 –  13 April 2017 will be available here:  https://community.icann.org/x/O77RAw
 A copy of the action items and notes may be found below.

Thank you.

With kind regards,
Brenda Brewer, Projects & Operations Assistant
Multistakeholder Strategy & Strategic Initiatives (MSSI)
Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers
[cid:image001.png at 01D2B474.EE644380]

Action Items:

  *   Avri Doria – Update the Issues document and distribute to the group for final comments by Tuesday 18 April.
  *   Co-Rapporteurs – to write covering note for plenary regarding expectations vs Issues document for 18 April.
  *   Avri Doria – Submit updated Issues document with covering note to be presented at next plenary for Wednesday 19 April (this is nor for a first reading).
  *   Jordan Carter – write few pages for Roles of Board, Staff, Community for next group meeting 20 April.
Notes
Notes (including relevant portions of chat):
7 Participants at start of call
1. Intro: agenda review, attendance, SOI check
(no changes to agenda, no changes to SOIs)
2. Staff Engagement
Avri Doria - had second call - agreement to give this group a presentation on the review process. also discussed how the measures document - they will have a look at. Also discussion how to bring senior staff to work with this group wrt the solution space.
Patrick Dodson - preparation of the material for the review cycle is simply being cleaned up so that it makes sense for non-employees.
George Sadowsky - have we progressed to actually getting to issues or just still structuring how to get to those.
Avri Doria - structuring
3. Issues analysis table
Avri Doria - accepted comments on document so we could work from a clean version. (going through document).
Issue 1 (no comments).
George Sadowsky - did we not do this last week?
Avri Doria - yes it was a first reading last week but some changes were made since then.
Jordan Carter - first five have not had any changes - we could skip.
Alan Greenberg - there may not be an official forum - but even when claims were made they were ignored.
Jordan Carter: It sounds like another "Issue" to me
Klaus Stoll: Same here!
Herb Waye Ombuds: New CEO seems a bit more open to things like that Alan and people can always bring things like that to me...
Issue 2 (no comments)
Klaus Stoll: @ Herb. But that is not a formal procedure and there is the outstanding issue of Ombuds independence.
Alan Greenberg: @Herb, with a potential for him referring it to someone else who ignores it.
Herb Waye Ombuds: agreed... so if ignored I would hope I would be contacted to poke the bear
Alan Greenberg: @Herb, I have had discussions with your predecessor about reluctance of invoking your office. Glad to have the discussion with you as well.
Jordan Carter: I think contributions to that problem would be inconsistent approach by iCANN managers in dealing with feedback
Jordan Carter: and maybe an organisational culture that doesn't support addressing concerns raised by community participants
Issue 3 (no comments)
Issue 4 (no comments)
Issue 5 (no comments)
issue 6 - NEW - (no comments)
Issue 7 - NEW - (no comments)
Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO): I would accept it
Issue 8 - New at meeting - (no comments)
Avri Doria - is this ok to go to the next plenary? (no objections). DECISION
Alan Greenberg - should make clear its not for a first reading but just for input to the work.
Jordan Carter - Yes have to make that clear in the submission to the CCWG-Acct.
Action Item - write cover note for this and transmit to CCWG-Acct.
Alan Greenberg - May have a new one - uncertain if one of or systemic - staff coming back and saying we do not have resources to do that.
Jordan Carter: is that a staff accountability issue?
Alan Greenberg - if not what is it?
Jordan Carter: it sounds like a resource / organisational capacity / prioritisation issue
Jordan Carter: so it's a unilateral denial of support that is the issue?
Greg Shatan - Staff Accountability applies to all staff up to the CEO - so the answer to Alan's question is true - so there is an issue here b ut its unclear.
Alan Greenberg: I'm willing to drop it at the moment.
Avri Doria - ok lets drop it for now - its not ready.
Greg Shatan - we need to put a pin in this issue.
Patrick Dodson: I think we might frame it as an issue of "appropriate methods for addressing requests that exceed bandidth, resources, budget, etc"
Patrick Dodson: it is an issue of accountability to address capacity constructively.
Jordan Carter: i think Patrick's is a resonable interpretaton to get the discussion moving
Avri Doria - Ok so PD's wording work and we have an issue 9.
4. Document Update
Jordan Carter - had promised to write up a few pages on this but have not done so yet.
Greg Shatan - think this document is odd as an ICANN document.
George Sadowsky - yes all delegation of authority is from the Board.
Greg Shatan: Oversight and Delegation are two different things.
Jordan Carter - this document is an improvement that is evolving - so a work in progress - important to keep in mind when discussing.
Avri Doria - We did mention when looking for the CEO that strategy is for the Board and the community and not for the CEO.
Greg Shatan: Delegation implies that the duty is that of the delegor (the Board) and is being delegated to the delegate the CEO) at the delegor's discretion.
Jordan Carter: and that's how the ICANN Bylaws set the organisation up, isn't it Greg?
Greg Shatan: In other words, that the CEO's job is really the Board's job, but they have delegated that job to the CEO.
Greg Shatan: Jordan, not sure.
George Sadowsky – Confirming that the status of document is DRAFTY.
Avri Doria - no new text. this will be updated after the process review material and we have worked through the issues and have identified any remedies IF they require new procedure.
5. Next steps
6. Schedule update
Avri Doria - have added weekly meeting through May to get the work done.
7. AOB
(none)
Adjourned
Decisions:

·         Issues document – added new issue number 8

·         Issues document should be sent to plenary for additional input (but not for a first reading)

·         Weekly meetings have been added through May to get the work done.