[CCWG-ACCT] Notes, recordings, transcript for WS2 Staff Accountability Subgroup Meeting #8_ 2 February 2017

MSSI Secretariat mssi-secretariat at icann.org
Thu Feb 2 22:44:59 UTC 2017

Hello all,

The notes, recordings and transcripts for CCWG Accountability WS2 Staff Accountability Subgroup Meeting #8 –  2 February 2017 will be available here:  https://community.icann.org/x/MgC4Aw

A copy of the notes may be found below.

Thank you.

With kind regards,
Brenda Brewer, Projects & Operations Assistant
Multistakeholder Strategy & Strategic Initiatives (MSSI)

Notes (including relevant portions of chat):

1. Intro: agenda review, attendance, SOI check
Audio only: Jeff Neuman, Greg Shatan, George Sadowsky.
Roll call will be taken from AC room.
No SOI updates.

2. Update on working draft Document A version 1.3.
Jordan is rapporteur on this document
(main item at 16 Feb meeting)
Document, open to comments and suggested edits,  can be found at:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1wGRrJZ-i7WA0uYBIHaB5Q3ssqfRmbAcgHJwlQ6scHZY/edit
Marked up from previous version available for review:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1wXuZw-VFeMLT3B5UHLU_nY1SWyzp6-VLeVZF1FY0UDk/edit
Very few people have edited the document so far. Document will be kept open on-line one more week, and will be reviewed by the subgroup during the next call, on Feb 16.

3. Detailed Discussion of Responses to Staff questions
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ELuw6i3mGAjnZBe0Vc_lraNQrWw5m_I6UyipEHaRJxc/edit?usp=sharing

•  Avri: Answers have been mostly contributed by Klaus. Encourage others to contribute. Not sure if we have alignment between document A and the answers provided here.
•  Julf Helsingius: Yes, ICANN.org tends to promote ICANN, not the community
•  Jeff Neuman: FYI - The registries have some thoughts on Question 1 that we will be submitting. The registries have been in discussion with ICANN staff. There have been situations where ICANN has tried to push their views without going through the multistakeholder process.
•  Jeff: Why did ICANN respond to our questions with more questions? what is ICANN going to do with these answers? seems very defensive from ICANN to answer our questions with more questions. Does it mean they won't participate in these discussions unless we answer their questions?
•  Greg Shatan: this discussion shows the challenge of staff accountability. Difficult to balance out accountability and transparency and necessity to make business decision.
•  George Sadowsky: speaking as board liaison for this group. I am in LA, so I can try to better understand what is going on here and reach out to staff.
•  Phil Corwin: I haven't had the same experience but  I don't represent contracted parties. I would like to see listed under question 1 a specific example, ie request for reconsideration filed in 2016.
•  Avri: there are many bilateral issues, I'd like to encourage people to voice them out.
•  George: are these isolated incidents?
•  Philip Corwin: At a certain point a series of isolated incidents constitutes a clear pattern of behavior experienced by a broad cross section of the community
•  Jeff Neuman: http://schd.ws/hosted_files/icann572016/a6/I57%20HYD_Sun06Nov2016-Board%20with%20Contracted%20Party%20House-en.pdf ,[schd.ws] starting on page 30 and continuing pretty much to the end we talk about the seemingly adversarial relationship between the contracted parties and the ICANN staff
•  Philip Corwin: In regard to question 3, perhaps we should ask staff to identify specific instances in which they have not been treated in a respectful manner, because I can't recall witnessing any.

4. Discussion/Seeking feedback on First Draft Document B
Avri is rapporteur on this document
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1UnkJuukv0px-CfIDgLrjdDZa2CpBvSahPvAXdYYTeHk/edit
Avri: encouraging people to contribute to this document too.

5. Schedule check
We have slipped on our schedule. Jordan and I need to recalibrate.

6. AOB