[CCWG-ACCT] Notes, recordings, transcript for CCWG ACCT Plenary Meeting #12 | 8 February 2017

Michael Karanicolas michael at law-democracy.org
Fri Feb 10 06:45:20 UTC 2017

Thanks for that feedback Christopher.

I'm not sure what you base your comment that increasing transparency will
generate a "culture of distrust" between ICANN and the community on, since
all experience suggests that the opposite is true - and indeed I believe
the desire to build trust and accountability are key to why this process is
taking place.

As we've discussed, we look forward to hearing from ICANN on these
recommendations, and will certainly factor their feedback in.

With regard to the duty to document - I responded to this when you raised
it previously. I'm not sure if you're reading these responses, but that's
not what Recommendation 2 says. I think that it's fairly self evident that
documenting "decision-making processes" and "essential
transactions" doesn't mean documenting every single conversation. You've
also misinterpreted (again) DIDP Recommendation 5, which mentions complying
with requester reasonable preferences when another form is *available*. So
it doesn't mean staff has to file multiple versions of the same document -
which would of course be silly. Rather, what it means is that if the staff
has the document as a doc file and as a pdf file, and the requester asks
for a doc file, they should send them a doc.

I think the document is quite clear on these points, and doesn't lend
itself to the reading you suggest. That said, it would concern us if others
were viewing the document in the same way, so we very much look forward to
the public comment phase, and can certainly adapt it if things need
clarification.

Best,

Michael