[CCWG-ACCT] CCWG-Accountability Jurisdiction Subgroup Questions for ICANN Legal

Sam Lanfranco sam at lanfranco.net
Fri Feb 24 21:10:34 UTC 2017

Greg,

As an economist, and not a lawyer, I am just wondering here. Is there
potential for ICANN liability arising in multiple legal jurisdictions
because of (a) ICANN contracts with registrars and registries, and (b)
possibly via "manufacturer's liability". Is there a backward liability
to ICANN from a registrant’s contract with a registrar or ISP? Are there
ways in which a domain name can be seen as a “defective product”? That
would open up legal liability in most countries.

Sam

On 2/24/2017 12:41 PM, Greg Shatan wrote:
> Co-Chairs and Fellow Participants,
>
> Attached for the appropriate review and submission to ICANN Legal are
> several questions from the Jurisdiction Subgroup.  Please let us know
> if there are any questions or concern before these are sent to ICANN
> Legal.  When these are submitted to ICANN Legal, please ask for an
> estimate of the time to return answers, and advise them that they may
> respond on a rolling basis, if that will allow us to receive certain
> answers more quickly.
>
> For convenience, a link to a Google Doc version is also included:
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1HslgBieiTl2LNT1CXNct7ZS1Qi5lZy3r8Y42CVzfIP8/edit?usp=sharing
>
> Thank you.
>
> Greg Shatan
> /Rapporteur/
>
> *Greg Shatan
> *C: 917-816-6428
> S: gsshatan
> Phone-to-Skype: 646-845-9428
> gregshatanipc at gmail.com <mailto:gregshatanipc at gmail.com>

"It is a disgrace to be rich and honoured
in an unjust state" -Confucius
  邦有道,贫且贱焉,耻也。邦无道,富且贵焉,耻也
Dr Sam Lanfranco (Prof Emeritus & Senior Scholar)
Econ, York U., Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - M3J 1P3
email: Lanfran at Yorku.ca   Skype: slanfranco
blog:  https://samlanfranco.blogspot.com
Phone: +1 613-476-0429 cell: +1 416-816-2852