[CCWG-ACCT] Notes, recordings and transcript for WS2 Diversity Subgroup Meeting #8 | 5 January 2017

MSSI Secretariat mssi-secretariat at icann.org
Thu Jan 5 18:02:09 UTC 2017

Hello all,

The notes, recordings and transcripts for CCWG Accountability WS2 Diversity Subgroup Meeting #8 – 5 January 2017 will be available here:  https://community.icann.org/x/Ha3DAw

A copy of the notes may be found below.

Thank you.
With kind regards,
Brenda Brewer, Projects & Operations Assistant
Multistakeholder Strategy & Strategic Initiatives (MSSI)

 Action Items

·         ACTION (Dalila Rahmouni): distribute the paper to the mailing list

Notes
1. Roll Call
Audio only: Akinbo
2. Review of Actions items
- we will invite staff to the next call, next week (Ergys from DPRD, Chris Gift)
- we have a team of volunteers for the drafting of the questionnaire
3. Review of Draft questionnaire – https://docs.google.com/document/d/13UBH5JXmOvxA6H6Kg6W6o0GNDjfYRs3FwQULKScgSmw/edit
- We previously discussed reducing the number of questions.
- The drafting team needs to work on the document.
- No comments from the group.
4. Discussion Topics - strawman document   https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XpXaGckf9IIYGgPKdMhBgKe8gzwruuCHgvXiz-DwOOM/edit
- Rachel Pollack: The new bylaw provision mentioned cultural diversity on the Internet. It might be helpful to recall the definition of cultural diversity in the 2005 UNESCO
convention on diversity of cultural expressions
 http://portal.unesco.org/en/ev.php-URL_ID=31038&URL_DO=DO_TOPIC&URL_SECTION=201.html[portal.unesco.org]<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__portal.unesco.org_en_ev.php-2DURL-5FID-3D31038-26URL-5FDO-3DDO-5FTOPIC-26URL-5FSECTION-3D201.html&d=DgMFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=kbiQDH54980u4nTPfwdloDLY6-6F24x0ArAvhdeDvvc&m=HEtf4qxStXEkq5yqFi26MB_uiUQdYONarUHSimAYKQ8&s=V3s-u1tPwzctH3eSR-JctiijpKutXXvm_48GdZRnqUQ&e=>
French version:  http://portal.unesco.org/fr/ev.php-URL_ID=31038&URL_DO=DO_TOPIC&URL_SECTION=201.html[portal.unesco.org]<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__portal.unesco.org_fr_ev.php-2DURL-5FID-3D31038-26URL-5FDO-3DDO-5FTOPIC-26URL-5FSECTION-3D201.html&d=DgMFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=kbiQDH54980u4nTPfwdloDLY6-6F24x0ArAvhdeDvvc&m=HEtf4qxStXEkq5yqFi26MB_uiUQdYONarUHSimAYKQ8&s=q_obnD6J5KomH0LAREIyKuHnjfxGO6X0dZPci1obvVo&e=> :)
Article 4 – Definitions For the purposes of this Convention, it is understood that: 1. Cultural diversity “Cultural diversity” refers to the manifold ways in which the cultures of groups and societies find expression. These expressions are passed on within
and among groups and societies. Cultural diversity is made manifest not only through the varied ways in which the cultural heritage of humanity is expressed, augmented
and transmitted through the variety of cultural expressions, but also through diverse modes of artistic creation, production, dissemination, distribution and enjoyment, whatever
the means and technologies used.
- Agreement that element of culture should be added.
- Suggestion to continue to translate ICANN documents in several languages, in order to allow non-English speakers to get involved in the community.
- Abdeldjalil Bachar Bong: also i have another comment about diversity don't forget Youth involvement and engagement in ICANN is a key and important Please dont forget that diversity is not only (langage diversity,gender diversity,geographical diversity but also Youth diversity)...
- Rachel Pollack: @Abdeljalil - the strawman currently refers to diversity of age. Perhaps we could add something like "and particularly youth"
- RAHMOUNI Dalila: Proposal to create an office of diversity within ICANN, to collect data and make proposals to improve diversity. A paper with this proposal was shared in Helsinki, and shall be distributed again to the group, as we have several new members in the group.
ACTION (Dalila Rahmouni): distribute the paper to the mailing list
The office would be a tool for the group to complete its work.
- Steps taken by the subgroup:
1. agree on elements of diveristy
2. look up how diversity is implemented in SO/ACs, through the questionnaire for SO/ACs
3. look into what structures should be put in place
4. assemble recommendations
- Alice Munyua: working on a workgroup for the GAC on diversity, that should feed well into this subgroup's discussions. Also looking into defining regional diversity.
- renata aquino: i support looking at regions
- Rafik: hopes we can liaise with the GAC.
- Alice: we are preparing a questionnaire, that we'll share with this group for feedback.
- Amal Al-saqqaf: I think this will be clearer after GAC responds to the questionaire delivered by this subgroup
- Akinbo:  Regional should take into consideration indigents. Office of Diversity can address this issues with careful study over the years and recommend adoptions and solutions.
- Renata Aquino Ribeiro: Comment: I think it is important that elements pointed out by the GAC group have been discussed here too. This shows the discussion
can not be dismissed quickly between regional diversity and official geographic boundaries and this is the most important area of the GAC.
5. AOB
- At-Large Captioning Pilot Project
Will do a test during the call of Jan 13th. There will be translated captioning.
Abdeldjalil Bachar Bong: Dear All,  We are excited to announce that Phase 2 of the Captioning pilot will start up again in January. Please
pass this email to others who I have missed.  If you would like to have a teleconference captioned during this second phase of the pilot please
submit your request to At-Large Staff by January 1 or as soon as possible  As agreed to in part 1 of the pilot, the
implementation of this project will be structured as follows:  Three calls to include captioning each month for a total
of 6 teleconferences, not exceeding 60 minutes per call (with the exception of the ALAC Monthly Meeting) The calls shall be held between January – February 2017.
Most calls will be captioned in English, with the exception of 1 in French and 1 in Spanish to be held in February Priority will be given to those groups who did
not make it into the first phase. These include cross community groups such as the CCWG-Accountability and the CCWG-IG and other CCWGs
To select the calls the captioning team has developed a set of criteria
See further details about the captioning project on the Wiki: https://community.icann.org/display/atlarge/At-Large+Captioning+Pilot+Project+II[community.icann.org]<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__community.icann.org_display_atlarge_At-2DLarge-2BCaptioning-2BPilot-2BProject-2BII&d=DgMFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=kbiQDH54980u4nTPfwdloDLY6-6F24x0ArAvhdeDvvc&m=HEtf4qxStXEkq5yqFi26MB_uiUQdYONarUHSimAYKQ8&s=9jjVopqTup1sihe_vK-eO4wcBtujKoDdcSFwDVIky6c&e=>
Abdeldjalil Bachar Bong: i suggest also for the next call we could have a dial out in french channel IT IS very important

Documents Presented

·          CCWG-AWS2DraftQuestionsonDiversity.pdf<https://community.icann.org/download/attachments/63155485/CCWG-AWS2DraftQuestionsonDiversity.pdf?version=1&modificationDate=1483628321000&api=v2>

·         DiversityStrawmanv2.pdf<https://community.icann.org/download/attachments/63155485/DiversityStrawmanv2.pdf?version=1&modificationDate=1483628335000&api=v2>