[CCWG-ACCT] [Ws2-jurisdiction] Question Presented

Greg Shatan gregshatanipc at gmail.com
Sun Jun 25 12:07:34 UTC 2017

I'd just like to clear up just a few misconceptions in the email below in
advance of our discussion this afternoon, especially since many in the
Plenary will not have followed the Jurisdiction subgroup email list where
much of this took place.

*"It is clear that this decision has been found faulty and criticised by
majority of participants in the e-discussions here, even those who
otherwise may agree with not pursuing the course that the Chair
unilaterally forbid us from taking."  *

This is not factually correct.  Among those who commented on list, 11
expressed support for the decision, 2 commented without objection, 7
criticized it in part and supported it in part, and 2 objected completely.
 (FYI, the group has approximately 70 members.)

*"it begun with the "out of scope" discussion and suddenly became "unlikely
to find consensus" decision -- which are two very different things."  *

There was nothing "sudden" -- the discussion evolved based on the
contributions of participants during the first of two full meetings on the
subject and on the email list between meetings.

*"It appears that it was triggered from some nervousness arising out of the
response spoke of need for clear institutional changes to the
jurisdictional status quo." *

This is factually incorrect. First, the speculation about how this came
about is wrong. Not only was there no "nervousness", but there was no
particular focus on the questionnaire responses.

Second, it is incorrect to say that "many responses" spoke of the need for
"clear institutional changes to the jurisdictional status quo." The
questionnaire wasn't supposed to be used to divine the popularity of
certain viewpoints.  It would be inappropriate to aggregate the responses
to  do so. However, if we were to "count noses," the statement would be
wrong.

The Subgroup received 21 responses. 12 expressed no concerns about ICANN's
jurisdiction in any way.  5 responses raised issues for the Subgroup, but
did not call for institutional changes to the jurisdictional status quo (1
mentioned the concept but stated it was too early for such an examination.
Only 4 responses called for institutional changes to the jurisdictional
status quo.  So, at most 5 out of 21 responses even contemplated such
changes.

*"in a single sweep not only the discussions on possible changes to the
ICANN incorporation but the much more "easier to deal with" subject of
tailored immunities for ICANN was banned to be discussed any further."*

This mischaracterized what happened. The Co-Chairs' statement does not
refer to "tailored immunities."  As Thomas pointed out, that was not the
focus of their concern, and that has since been clarified. The focus of the
Subgroup discussion on immunity has been on broad sovereign-type
immunities, so it should have been clear that this was the Co-Chairs' focus
as well.  it wasn't clear enough, so it has been clarified.

*"In any case, it was the sub group chair's decision that we will come to
"remedies" or institutional changes only after having listed out "issues"
that need to be addressed." *

This is set forth in the Subgroup's Work Plan; it was not my decision,
though I support the Work Plan (which also intended for us to clarify
issues of scope and focus at this point).

*"whether sub group chair had submitted a report that the sub group's work
is not able to be pursued." *

I don't believe anyone suggested this had happened. But concerns have been
expressed from various quarters that we are going in circles, and that our
earlier decision not to clarify the breadth of our work was a strong
contributing factor.

*"Strangely, the sub group chair has been presenting this as entirely the
CCWG chair's decision."  *

Nothing strange, just the truth.

*"Subsequent to the strong reactions to the decision,"*

As noted above, there were only a few reactions that did not favor the
decision, and there were "strong reactions" going in both directions.

I hope this helps better frame the discussion for the Plenary.

Greg