[CCWG-ACCT] [Ws2-jurisdiction] Jurisdiction Subgroup. Draft Report. Statement of Brazil. Annex. To be annexed to the draft report. For consideration by the CCWG.

Greg Shatan gregshatanipc at gmail.com
Mon Oct 16 16:25:04 UTC 2017

Thank you, Milton.

I think Milton's statement raises the question of how do viewpoints such as
Milton's, which seem to be aligned with the thinking of many in the
Subgroup, get the same prominence as the dissents, which seem to represent
the views of only a few in the Subgroup?  These views are not really
reflected in the Report, since they don't relate to recommendations in the
Subgroup Report.

Perhaps it would be fair, where the dissents are not merely minority
viewpoints on the recommendations made by the Subgroup, for further
statements to be allowed within a certain timeframe.  Otherwise, we have
"dissents" without any indication of the viewpoint(s) they are dissenting
from (except as characterized by the dissenter, which would hardly do those
other viewpoints justice.).

This also raises the question whether the Charter intends that these
Subgroup dissents are intended to be part of the package sent out for
Public Comment, or are merely to be read by the Plenary.  If it is the
former, then it is clear to me that accommodations should be made for other
viewpoints.  Since dissents are not subject to first/second reading or
Plenary consensus consideration, this would not pose a procedural problem,
while greatly improving the substance of the package.  Even if it is only
the latter (these are internal documents only), having a record of a
viewpoint other than minority viewpoint(s) would seem quite important.

Greg