[CCWG-ACCT] [Ws2-jurisdiction] Jurisdiction Subgroup Draft Report for CCWG-Accountability Plenary Review

Seun Ojedeji seun.ojedeji at gmail.com
Wed Oct 18 18:19:42 UTC 2017

Hello Greg, all

I like to quote 2 sections from our current draft:

"These  sanctions  have  been  imposed  on  certain  countries,  as  well
as individuals  and  entities  that  appear  on  OFAC's List  of
Specially  Designated  Nationals  and Blocked  Persons  (the  "SDN
List").  ICANN  is  prohibited  from  providing  most  goods  or services
to  residents  of  sanctioned  countries  or  their  governmental
entities  or  to  SDNs without  an  applicable  U.S. government
authorization or  exemption."

Our recommendation:

"ICANN  should  commit  to  applying  for  and  using  best  efforts  to
secure  an  OFAC  license  for  all such  applicants  if  the  applicant
is  otherwise  qualified  (and  is  not on  the  SDN  list)"

Please pay attention to the phrases in bracket of both paragraphs. Am i
right if I understand this to mean we are actually not asking ICANN to seek
exemption for those on the SDN list? (If the response if a Yes then kindly
read further below)

If I may, how does our recommendation serve as improvement from the status
quo? I mean what category of applicants will start to feel the positive
impact of our recommendation?

Regards

Sent from my mobile
Kindly excuse brevity and typos