[CCWG-ACCT] [Ws2-ombudsman] IOO WS2 Sub Group first Report to the CCWG-Accountability WS2 for consideration at Sept Meeting

Michael Karanicolas michael at law-democracy.org
Wed Sep 20 02:16:43 UTC 2017

Hi all,

Just to chime in - #3 really seems like a good point, to me. I could
certainly see a potential complainant for, say, harassment, being
deterred from reporting if they saw the Ombudsman drinking and
socializing with the subject of their complaint. Though it may make
the job less fun - I do think it's important to keep distance when one
has such a position.

#2 also seems very important... but also challenging. Having an
external 3rd party provide ombudsman services may not solve this
problem since, presumably, they would still need to be contracted in
by ICANN, leaving them equally subject to influence - and potentially
even more so. Imagine the Ombudsman was someone seconded over from
some KPMG-like organization. Wouldn't their higher ups pressure them
to avoid rocking the boat, and jeopardizing the contract? I am
personally more accustomed to such challenges in a public sector
context where, indeed, longer and fixed-term contracts (security of
tenure) are the preferred means of ensuring that an official (like,
say, human rights commissioners) won't be swayed by political forces,
along with making the official difficult to fire through oversight of
termination proceedings and strong and specific requirements for cause
(incapacity, missing a certain number of meetings, demonstrated
incompetence, etc.).

Just some thoughts. Thanks of course to Sebastien for his excellent
work on this, and to Farzi for bringing these issues up.

Michael Karanicolas