[CCWG-ACCT] [Ws2-ombudsman] IOO WS2 Sub Group first Report to the CCWG-Accountability WS2 for consideration at Sept Meeting

Marilyn Cade marilynscade at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 20 21:22:33 UTC 2017

I am only a participant.

However, this seems to me to be a little " over the top" in misundertanding the obligation to be independent in decision and not attending ICANN.

Otherwise, we cannot allow any ICANN staff, including the Senior staff, supporting staff and Board to engage with the community, as they will be "infected" by us.

I know I am a winsome personality, but I note with some regret that no one ever changed their view after encountering me at a breakfast, or over a social event.  I must need to improve my powers of persuasion. Perhaps I can study DUNE, and seek to achieve some kind of magical powers, where if one has a drink or food in my presence, suddenly they are converted to my "view".

How about this: no ICANN staff should accept a paid drink, or meal from a member of the community

Full stop.

No ICANN staff should discuss pending policy positions -- WAIT, isn't it important for the ICANN staff to listen to the community.  BUT, again, the Ombudsman is not ICANN staff. so?

The Ombudsman should buy his/her own coffee, drinks, dinner, etc, if they happen to attend events where such costs occur.

HMMM.

The Ombudsman should be independently funded, and the office of the Ombudsman should be required to NOT discuss any pending or ongoing procedure that they are engaged in.

The Ombudsman's office should attend, without offering comment, as many of the ICANN events as possible, and attend as many sessions on site as possible, while fulfilling their obligations as the independent Ombudsman.