[CCWG-ACCT] CCWG-Accountability-WS2 - 27-28 September Plenary Agenda and Materials - 1 of 2 - FoI text proposal to bridge divergences

Paul Twomey paul.twomey at argopacific.com
Thu Sep 28 21:00:14 UTC 2017

Dear Jorge

I have to say that I agree with Greg on this.   My interventions on the
HR working group have consistently focused on the ability of ICANN to
operate its IANA and other technical functions under policy and/or
numerous agreements with numerous technical bodies (such as ccTLD
operators, Root Zone operators etc) in support of a global,
interoperable Internet.   The wording you propose would in my view put
this at risk - as I have point several times over the last years the
Rugge Principles, especially as those principles which apply to supply
chains and contractors, are well suited to a mining company which can
decide whether or not to do business in certain circumstance in certain
countries.   ICANN does not have that luxury.   It is charged with
supporting a Global Internet and hence has to be able to deal with every
relevant ccTLD operator, Root Zone Operator, RIR etc, many of which it
has agreements.    In that sense ICANN is not like a private company at all.

Paul

On 9/28/17 4:38 PM, Jorge.Cancio at bakom.admin.ch wrote:

> Dear Greg, dear all,
>
> The UNGP are an international instrument endorsed by the United
> Nations. As other declarations mentioned in the FoI, it is not as such
> a legally binding document, but it was unanimously endorsed in 2011 by
> the United Nations Human Rights Council through a formal resolution.
> Therefore, locating it under instruments makes sense.
>
> There is no contradiction with the “considerations”, as those refer to
> the application of the UNGP to _all of ICANN in general_. In contrast,
> and taking into consideration the concerns expressed by some in the
> Subgroup, the text we propose _only refers to ICANN “Organization”_
> and not to SO/ACs.
>
> This is a common ground proposal that differs, by being significantly
> less ambitious, from the public comment proposals filed by the
> Governments of Switzerland, UK and Brazil – which have at various time
> been supported by a number of other countries and participants.
>
> Therefore, I hope that the CCWG Plenary will work on a CCWG broader
> consensus text on this basis, giving consideration and being inclusive
> of at least a minimal part of the named public comment inputs.
>
> Kind regards
>
> Jorge

Dr Paul Twomey
Managing Director