[CCWG-ACCT] CCWG-Accountability-WS2 - 27-28 September Plenary Agenda and Materials - 1 of 2 - FoI text proposal to bridge divergences

Greg Shatan gregshatanipc at gmail.com
Fri Sep 29 18:18:59 UTC 2017

Avri,

Thanks for your explanation.  I understand where you and Nigel are each
coming from now.

I agree with your points regarding non-profits and Ruggie.

Reading Nigel's email, I thought he was advancing the strawman that the
only reason Ruggie is a bad fit for ICANN is that it's a non-profit.  My
goal was to point out that ICANN's unique role makes it unlike a business
at all (non-profit or for-profit), and that this is the primary reason
Ruggie doesn't fit.

But I agree that the nonprofit status poses additional challenges.

Finally, none of this is to say that Ruggie should not be considered in the
implementation of the Human Rights Core Value -- which is already supported
in the Considerations portion of the document.

It is to say that Ruggie should not be used to interpret the meaning of the
Bylaw itself.

Greg