[CCWG-ACCT] CCWG-Accountability-WS2 - 27-28 September Plenary Agenda and Materials - 1 of 2 - FoI text proposal to bridge divergences

Paul Twomey paul.twomey at argopacific.com
Fri Sep 29 18:38:18 UTC 2017

Dear Jorge

Thank you for your detail and clarity as well.

I understand the intent of the separation of the SOs etc from other
functions of ICANN.   I just am not sure that "business" is the right
way to describe the other functions - so many of those functions are
closer to global public good functions rather than "business" -
certainly business as understood in the Ruggie Principles.

As I think further about the risks I am concerned about, I would agree
with Greg Shatan's observation:

"Finally, none of this is to say that Ruggie should not be considered in
the implementation of the Human Rights Core Value -- which is already
supported in the Considerations portion of the document.

It is to say that Ruggie should not be used to interpret the meaning of
the Bylaw itself."

I will leave it to other to consider whether my comments helps us
resolve your language as it stands.  I am not trying to be disrespectul
of your efforts or the comments by the three government.   I am just
very skeptical about how uninformed judges interpret such language.

Best

Paul