[CCWG-ACCT] CCWG-Accountability-WS2-Plenary-20180228- Documents

Cheryl Langdon-Orr langdonorr at gmail.com
Wed Feb 28 14:56:29 UTC 2018

Happy to read this to the record

On Feb 28, 2018 07:35, "Alan Greenberg" <alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca> wrote:

I will not be able to attend the CCWT-ACCT Plenary on 28 February 2018.
Please ensure that this message is either read into the record or otherwise
considered during the deliberations on Diversity.

I note that the Diversity Recommendations being considered do not include
one to create an ICANN Office of Diversity (OoD).

There was an extensive discussion on diversity and an OoD within the ALAC
over the past weeks. As one might expect from such a regionally based
organization, the ALAC strongly supports diversity in all of its forms, and
to say we are (collectively) passionate about diversity does not fully
convey our feelings.

However, every person who contributed to the discussion (and that was a
majority of ALAC members and other community leaders) felt that there is no
need for an OoD, and to create one would needlessly increase bureaucracy
and cost without any real benefit. There was support for ICANN organization
to consider diversity among its staff but that should be handled within
Human Resources.

In summary, the ALAC would not support creating an OoD.

Alan Greenberg
CCWG-ACCT Member and Chair, ALAC