[CCWG-ACCT] WG: [Internet Policy] NTIA Notice of Inquiry on International Internet Policy Priorities

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Wed Jun 13 06:28:55 UTC 2018

Yes, Jorge, your highlighted question says it all.

D. Should the IANA Stewardship Transition be unwound?

This represented the problem statement for the jurisdiction sub-group,
which got internally and externally high-jacked to cannibalise its own
mandate and produce fictitious ones in its place.

It is just a pity that even in the 21st century some people/ groups do
not value their political freedom as one might expect them to, and are
happy to remain dependent and servile.

What a dishonour to the visionaries and revolutionaries of yester-years
and yester-centuries who made such sacrifices for political freedoms --
little they knew that it will be valued so less by those for whom they
make sacrifices.

Personally, it hurts even more that people and groups from post-colonial
countries are ready to stay colonised, if in new manners, even when they
know that they do not and never will occupy a place in the US-led order
equal even to US'sclose allieslike the EU and some other, even as the
latter are themselves denied equality and freedom in this case.

I know thatmany will quote in defence expedience of practicality, and
may be it does constrain some government members perhaps (but still
really much more could be done), but what about those who professedly
stand independently and directly for global public interest, and have no
obvious constraints?

By not giving a strong and clear principles-based view on the
jurisdiction question, whether it got finally "accepted" or not,  this
so call global multistakeholder community has simply confirmed its
geo-political partisanship... It has driven another nail in the coffin
of a possible global Internet/digital order that was seen as globally
fair and just and thus could perhaps have dissuaded, or at least
limited, the new cold war kind of splits in digital global order that
are increasingly imminent.

On the altar of narrow interests, short term gains and expediency has
been sacrificed the immense political power of fairness, justice and
equality, that still IMHO is our best best, together and even
separately, for each of us.

parminder