[CCWG-ACCT] WG: [Internet Policy] NTIA Notice of Inquiry on International Internet Policy Priorities

Sivasubramanian M 6.Internet at gmail.com
Wed Jun 13 21:11:00 UTC 2018

Dear Parminder,

​Please see inline:​

On Wed, Jun 13, 2018, 11:59 AM parminder <parminder at itforchange.net> wrote:

> Yes, Jorge, your highlighted question says it all.
>

> D. Should the IANA Stewardship Transition be unwound?
>
> This represented the problem statement for the jurisdiction sub-group,
> which got internally and externally high-jacked to cannibalise its own
> mandate and produce fictitious ones in its place.

You are measuring the progress of the Transition/Accountability processes
​by
 an unrealistic yardstick with markings in miles, not inches, and with a
clock that clicks way too fast. And your comments
​, intended or unintended, sound a little ​
polemic against half the world. Yes, certain questions remain unresolved,
the transition wasn't as dramatic or transformatory as ideally
​fancied
, but it went well, the transition happened, we could begin to think of
ICANN as more global than before. This is a global process with intricate
concerns and challenges, facing a few multilateral actors from
​all corners
alike who take time to develop faith in
​this
 new process. It takes time
​ for this process to make process​
.
​But wouldn't take as long as it takes in intergovernmental processes.​

> It is just a pity that even in the 21st century some people/ groups do not
> value their political freedom as one might expect them to, and are happy to
> remain dependent and servile.
>
> What a dishonour to the visionaries and revolutionaries of yester-years
> and yester-centuries who made such sacrifices for political freedoms --
> little they knew that it will be valued so less by those for whom they make
> sacrifices.

There are as many or far more today than there were in "yester-years" and
"yester-centuries"
​. Are you implying that there was goodness during yester-centuries and
that the visions and values of yester-years are disrespected or
non-existent today? It would be grossly incorrect to think so.

>>> Personally, it hurts even more that people and groups from post-colonial
> countries are ready to stay colonised, if in new manners, even when they
> know that they do not and never will occupy a place in the US-led order
> equal even to US's close allies like the EU and some other, even as the
> latter are themselves denied equality and freedom in this case.
>

>> I know that many will quote in defence expedience of practicality, and
> may be it does constrain some government members perhaps (but still really
> much more could be done), but what about those who professedly stand
> independently and directly for global public interest, and have no obvious
> constraints?
>
> By not giving a strong and clear principles-based view on the jurisdiction
> question, whether it got finally "accepted" or not

​"finally" ?   It is an ongoing process. And a open process. What stops the
Community from taking up further work on improvements?​

> ,  this so call global multistakeholder community has simply confirmed its
> geo-political partisanship... It has driven another nail in the coffin of a
> possible global Internet/digital order that was seen as globally fair and
> just and thus could perhaps have dissuaded, or at least limited, the new
> cold war kind of splits in digital global order that are increasingly
> imminent.

On the altar of narrow interests, short term gains and expediency has been
> sacrificed the immense political power of fairness, justice and equality,
> that still IMHO is our best best, together and even separately, for each of
> us.

​
On the contrary, it is how you perceive the progress of the process.  I
think narrow interest are weaker after these processes than before. ​

​Sivasubramanian M​

parminder