[CCWG-ACCT] CCWG-Accountability-WS2-NoticeofApproval

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Tue Nov 6 05:32:52 UTC 2018

As to what does the final report and decisions of the CCWG on
jurisdiction related issues mean for the world, here is a hot-off-the
press sample.

Iran is being taken off global financial grid, just because one US
President says so.

https://aawsat.com/english/home/article/1450521/swift-suspends-iran-banks

and hear the threat

"I promise you that doing business with Iran in defiance of our
sanctions will ultimately be a much more painful business decision than
pulling out of Iran and being connected to Iran entirely," says the US
Secretary of State ...
https://www.firstpost.com/business/us-warns-of-severe-swift-penalties-for-firms-continuing-sanctionable-commercial-transactions-with-iran-5509241.html

Simply bec though democrats under Obama were fine with getting along
with Iran, the new President Trump is not, and so it is not even a
bi-partisan US decision, but then Iran is to be suffocated by de-linking
it from global financial grids.

The question for the IG-ians is: Why cant or wont the US do the same for
the Internet, its DNS and routing systems? That isnt much more drastic
than throwing a country off global financial grids .  US, as any country
in its position would perhaps do in self interest, is just being nice on
IG and digital issues becuase this is an advance area where global
structures and advantages are being built and it does not want to rock
the boat at this formative stage till its dominance and controls are
unassailable. ]

Once things settle down, you'd find similar threats and sanctions with
regard to DNS and routing systems of the Internet -- to which
problematic future situation this group has now contributed -- and is
indeed clapping and celebrating it.. ( But perhaps someone here can
explain why it wont happen with the Internet. )

Would those who have assiduously promoted and curated the US centred and
controlled global IG model, and now have proudly concluded that there is
no need to do anything about the jurisdictional controls under which
some key infrastructural aspects of the global Internet operates,
explain? If indeed they think they owe any explanation to anyone at
all.  That would be accountability, given that this is CCWG -
Accountability.

parminder