[CCWG-ACCT] CCWG-Accountability-WS2-NoticeofApproval

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Tue Oct 30 04:48:36 UTC 2018

On 30/10/18 12:06 AM, Bernard Turcotte wrote:

> All,
>
> We are pleased to inform you that all the Chartering Organizations
> have approved the WS 2 recommendations by the end of ICANN 63.
>
> The text of the various approvals can be found in the attached
> document. Please note that the GAC approved all the recommendations
> with the exception of the Jurisdiction recommendations which it did
> not approve or reject.

One is glad that the world was was saved the ignominy of its governments
formally accepting that it is fine that one country should keep ruling
over a key global infrastructure. Also, good that the report itself
notes that the group could not fully agree on what issues of
jurisdiction were really to be covered by it, and that some of them need
to be discussed and sorted out in the future.

This is a very important conceptual and in-principle win for global
democracy, and democratic rule of law -- if just a rearguard defensive
action. The credit for it almost exclusively goes to the valiant and
intelligent Brazilian diplomats  involved in the process, whom I
congratulate and thank heartily.

Meanwhile, one does greatly regret that a once-in-decades chance to make
ICANN truly globally democratic (as was in fact called for by NetMundial
Conference) has been missed. As the global Internet is beginning to
split in cold war like zones and shells (as alsoclaimed by no less that
Eric Schmidt
<https://www.businessinsider.in/Googles-ex-CEO-Eric-Schmidt-says-the-internet-will-split-in-two-by-2028/articleshow/65900060.cms>),
lack of globally democratic IG structures will need to share their
considerable responsibility for this dangerous slide. We could have done
something here to try and make things better, but dominant interests
prevailed once again. History will, unfortunately, look back on this
process as a missed opportunity.

parminder