[Alac-sc-outreach] Updated Fellowship spreadsheet for research for Outreach and Engagement

Maureen Hilyard maureen.hilyard at gmail.com
Tue Feb 16 17:40:42 UTC 2016

Hi team

Looking at the list there are anomolies I didn't realise existed..  that
countries that are territories of USA are listed with NA and  may not be
seen as eligible for fellowships. I remember when I first put forward a
paper on the small islands of the Pacific (the 22 countries that had
members in PICISOC) it included American Samoa - where we even held a
PacINET - and the northern islands of the Pacific. Similarly with French
Polynesia being in Euralo, yet SPC which is the base for ICT in the Pacific
is in Noumea.

This is something which we as a team can raise as feedback to the
Geo-region paper. I have always been concerned that this northern group of
countries were disadvantaged through PICISOC because outreach to them is
too difficult, but this rejecting them because they are territories of USA
just exacerbates the whole issue of their alienation from any type of
outreach programme. They are tiny little island nations whose end-users
don't get much contact at all with the global community unless big brother
remembers they are there and them in one of their programmes - which I know
is rare.

Actually, it is one of the reasons that the Cook Islands, Niue and the
Tokelaus were originally dropped off the UN lists - because we are
territories of NZ... but we claimed our right to be included with other
Pacific nations on the ICANN lists - and I thought this also included the
northern Pacific Island nations. Put them back into APRALO.

I think we need to impress on ICANN that political boundaries are not
appropriate when we are looking at the needs of end-users and their
isolation from the support we could extend to them from within a more
appropriate geographic region - if they want it :).

My 2c worth
Maureen.