[Alac-sc-outreach] Fwd: [ALAC] Document for discussion during Friday's ALS Expectations session

Alfredo Calderon calderon.alfredo at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 17:44:10 UTC 2016

Great ideas that Alan is sharing with all.

I am a member of ISOC-Puerto Rico which is also an At-Large member of ICANN
(NARALO). I mention this because, through the Internet Society Platform, we
can communicate using Connect pertinent information to our membership. This
includes ICANN information. Therefore we are engaging with them in
discussing pertinent issues.

There has to be some platform at ALO that can facilitate sharing
information.

We use our social media networks (Facebook, Twitter) to promote our
activities and share concerns with our constituents and civil society. We
have managed to have members publish regularly in local major circulating
newspapers (print and digital) issues Internet related.

I have to agree with Alan that one of the major barriers is that civil
society feels that ICANN is too technical and concerns only a few
individuals and does not impact them personally or their business. How can
ICANN increase that awareness?

When we speak about "capacity building", what are we seeking?

   - Increasing awareness among different groups
   - Sharing best practices with others.
   -  Creating a solid "database" of skilled human resources per region
   that can serve as guest speakers for local or regional meetings to increase
   awareness.
   - Reach out to local universities / professional groups that lack
   knowledge on the impact of ICANNs work.

These together with the ideas presented by Alan should be our next steps
but in a more aggressive and clearly define plan.
My 2 cents.

[image: photo]
*Alfredo Calderon*
eLearning Consultant
calderon.alfredo at gmail.com | http://aprendizajedistancia.blogspot.com | Skype:
Alfredo_1212 <#> | wiseintro.co/alfredocalderon
<http://facebook.com/calderon.alfredo>
<http://pr.linkedin.com/in/acalderon52>  <http://twitter.com/acalderon52>
<http://plus.google.com/u/0/103289446075444313762/posts>
<http://www.pinterest.com/acalderon/>  <http://www.slideshare.net/acalderon>
  <http://klout.com/#/acalderon52>  <http://wiseintro.co/alfredocalderon>
Get a signature like this: Click here!
<http://ws-promos.appspot.com/r?rdata=eyJydXJsIjogImh0dHA6Ly93d3cud2lzZXN0YW1wLmNvbS9lbWFpbC1pbnN0YWxsP3dzX25jaWQ9NjcyMjk0MDA4JnV0bV9zb3VyY2U9ZXh0ZW5zaW9uJnV0bV9tZWRpdW09ZW1haWwmdXRtX2NhbXBhaWduPXByb21vXzU3MzI1Njg1NDg3Njk3OTIiLCAiZSI6ICI1NzMyNTY4NTQ4NzY5NzkyIn0=&u=113655777059622>