[Alac-sc-outreach] Fwd: Re: [EURO-Discuss] EURALO Outreach Strategic Plan - please comment

Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond ocl at gih.com
Mon Aug 21 06:52:29 UTC 2017

Dear Maureen,

please find my answers below:

On 21/08/2017 06:06, Maureen Hilyard wrote:
> The guide is good.. but if its something we want everyone to make
> sense of we need to explain each section without oral or written
> language which is the first barrier...
>
> We keep saying that a lot of our potential participants are not
> comfortable with English and then we give them that booklet.

Actually all of the Beginners Guides are translated in the 5 UN
languages. It's actually the main point of the Beginners Guides, that
they are translated.
https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/beginners-guides-2012-03-06-en

> I love those videos where an artist draws a flowchart as a visual to
> explain a process - no language but the message is clear.
> A new online guidebook could consist of a series of flowcharts that
> introduce and explain each process.
> By clicking onto the flowchart you would access the artist's
> "explanation" of how the process occurs, but no actual voice-over
> required - so no language barriers..

I fully support this. The problem, in my opinion, is not the language.
It's the medium that the message is delivered on. In a world where young
people have stopped reading anything else than instant messages, we need
to reduce written content to short paragraphs and add audio visual content.

> Anyone know a good artist?

ICANN did. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kFcxf8KAjg

Also have a look at the explanation of the Trademark Clearinghouse:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZKzaj5mURo

Kindest regards,

Olivier

> On Sat, Aug 19, 2017 at 12:37 PM, Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond
> <ocl at gih.com <mailto:ocl at gih.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hello all,
>
>     a response I have received during the consultation process of our
>     Outreach Strategy mentioned a comment I have heard on many
>     occasions: how do ALSes get their members involved in At-Large
>     activity? (see below)
>
>     There is a beginner's guide that explains how to participate in
>     At-Large,  but it is more than three years old.
>     https://www.icann.org/resources/files/participating-at-large-2013-11-08-en
>     <https://www.icann.org/resources/files/participating-at-large-2013-11-08-en>
>

>     And when I read the Guide I can't help wondering why this has not
>     been providing a suitable answer to all the people who have asked
>     me this question. Are we missing the target? How can we rectify this?
>
>     Kindest regards,
>
>     Olivier

Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond, PhD
http://www.gih.com/ocl.html