[Alac-sc-outreach] Fwd: [ICANN60_Onboarding] Mentorship Guideline

Maureen Hilyard maureen.hilyard at gmail.com
Fri Nov 10 15:00:18 UTC 2017

I have to agree with Ayden, that the GAC's following (or even attempting to
follow) the Fellowship model would be overkill.  There is no way we could
or should go down that track, and that is from personal experience.

Pua and I (as leaders within our sections and ex-Fellows) were asked to be
mentors for some Pacific Fellows in ICANN58,but I found it impossible to
keep up with the huge workload that was expected of the mentor/coach
before, during and after the ICANN meeting. We did what we could but we
both found that the expectation and demands of the programme were just too
much on top of preparing for our own workloads on the ALAC and GAC (and we
were in the middle of the Review as well). As a volunteer with other
personal commitments at the time, I felt swamped and I know I did not do
justice to what Janice and Siranush were expecting of us.

For At-Large. I suggest that the more measured mentoring approach, that is
more manageable for both parties and follows the guidelines that have
already been suggested and provided by Dev and his onboarding team, is the
model that we should continue to support for newcomers to our community.

 (The BC model sounds very friendly and coordinated, and based on years of
experience as a mentor with Marilyn in charge. Who could take on that role
for At-Large?).