[Alac-sc-outreach] O&E Suggestion : improving the text of our ALAC / At-Large sessions at ICANN F2F meetings

Vanda Scartezini vanda at scartezini.org
Wed Nov 21 16:32:34 UTC 2018

Very good point DEV. Several times people asked me if these session are closed sessions since looks really theya re dedicated to the insiders…

Vanda Scartezini
Polo Consultores Associados
Av. Paulista 1159, cj 1004
01311-200- Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
Land Line: +55 11 3266.6253
Mobile: + 55 11 98181.1464
Sorry for any typos.

From: Alac-sc-outreach <alac-sc-outreach-bounces at atlarge-lists.icann.org> on behalf of Dev Teelucksingh <devtee at gmail.com>
Date: Tuesday, November 20, 2018 at 15:28
To: ALAC Subcommittee Outreach <alac-sc-outreach at atlarge-lists.icann.org>
Subject: [Alac-sc-outreach] O&E Suggestion : improving the text of our ALAC / At-Large sessions at ICANN F2F meetings

One suggestion for the O&E to fix is the issue of how our At-Large/ALAC meetings are listed in the schedule at ICANN F2F meetings.

Consider ICANN61. There is a session at https://61.schedule.icann.org/meetings/647710 titled "ALAC and Regional Leaders Working Session Part 1"
This is the descriptive text that newcomers, fellows will see
"The Members of the ALAC and the Regional Leadership will discuss policy and process issues of importance to them. These sessions will also include presentations by senior staff."

Why should any newcomers, ICANN fellows, nextgen care to attend this ?

The description says nothing what the ALAC is, only says the ALAC will discuss stuff important to them, implying its like a closed meeting and we're not talking anything of importance to newcomers to attend.

So we should work to change this descriptive text.

Also, the title of our sessions "ALAC and Regional Leaders Working Session Part 1", Part 2, Part 3, Part 4, etc etc.

I know its hard to finalize agendas in a timely manner, but can we come up with better descriptive text for these names? We tend (or should) group these Working Sessions under a particular theme or subject - Security, new gTLD policy, Finance for example and we should therefore have the subject or theme in the title of the sessions.

Also, instead of "ALAC and Regional Leaders" which again gives a "if you're not a ALAC or Regional Leader, you are NOT welcome" vibe, so lets make it more inviting...perhaps "At-Large Community (ALAC)"
This may seem tedious, but I think it would have huge benefit to At-Large. Once created however, we can use the improved description and titles going forward for future ICANN F2F meetings.

Dev Anand Teelucksingh