[ALT-Plus] Fwd: [So-ac-sg-cleaders] For information - Global Commission on the Stability of Cyberspace (GCSC)

Maureen Hilyard maureen.hilyard at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 02:00:29 UTC 2019

FYI

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: David Olive <david.olive at icann.org>
Date: Sun, Feb 3, 2019 at 3:04 PM
Subject: [So-ac-sg-cleaders] For information - Global Commission on the
Stability of Cyberspace (GCSC)

MESSAGE FROM SVP Theresa Swinehart

Dear SO/AC leaders:

Appreciating how busy everyone’s schedules, I wanted to just let you know
that the Global Commission on the Stability of Cyberspace (GCSC) is holding
it’s meeting around the Kobe meeting. The GCSC plans their closed meeting
for its commissioners in Kobe at the Portopia Hotel on 9 March. To take
advantage of being in Kobe, many commissioners will remain in Kobe
following this meeting and would welcome discussions with any SOs/ACs or
stakeholders that may be interested in the GCSC’s work.

For background and context, information on the GCSC can be found at:
https://cyberstability.org/
[cyberstability.org]
<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__cyberstability.org_&d=DwMFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=-7h6cvM_OPRbO5bNxmxbIC-1LdMcxh3YhHFvOFZCP6Q&m=EoH3jeQzfFcVpzUTS5wMY0iedVd2NSdZ_Xq0or9Ngdw&s=b1gbyz9XJlKVFtP7q04Hx4PrDytZyFL2J3EiXnpXK7c&e=>
.
As part of its work, the GCSC “is helping promote mutual awareness and
understanding among the various cyberspace communities working on issues
related to international cybersecurity.” They are anticipated to publish
their report likely in early 2020. The commission is chaired by Marina
Kaljurand, and co-chaired by Michael Chertoff and Latha Reddy, and the 25
commissioners represent a wide range of geographic regions as well as
government, industry, technical and civil society stakeholders. Its mission
is to develop proposals for norms and policies to enhance international
security and stability, by engaging a full range of stakeholders. In
particular, for example, the Call to Protect the Public Core of the
Internet [cyberstability.org]
<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__cyberstability.org_research_call-2Dto-2Dprotect_&d=DwMFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=-7h6cvM_OPRbO5bNxmxbIC-1LdMcxh3YhHFvOFZCP6Q&m=EoH3jeQzfFcVpzUTS5wMY0iedVd2NSdZ_Xq0or9Ngdw&s=6M4uDYemGQKtYescgeuCeNGTq3K-0IHgsIDkyWKYVHo&e=>
and
the respective norm, released in November 2017, may be of interest. The
GCSC defines [cyberstability.org]
<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__cyberstability.org_wp-2Dcontent_uploads_2018_07_Definition-2Dof-2Dthe-2DPublic-2DCore-2Dof-2Dthe-2DInternet.pdf&d=DwMFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=-7h6cvM_OPRbO5bNxmxbIC-1LdMcxh3YhHFvOFZCP6Q&m=EoH3jeQzfFcVpzUTS5wMY0iedVd2NSdZ_Xq0or9Ngdw&s=uZR8fNf5H4oKBPBnkSgo9NLbSpN7Lr58tL7zNDWk2Hg&e=>
the
public core to include packet routing and forwarding, naming and numbering
systems, the cryptographic mechanisms of security and identity, and
physical transmission media. Included in the definition of the naming and
numbering systems is “systems and information used in the operation of the
Internet’s Domain Name System.”

Many of our community members are participating in GCSC initiatives and
ICANN org had been invited to take part in GCSC public hearings.

I have copied on this message Alexander Klimburg, Director of the
Initiative, who would be happy to facilitate contacts with the GCSC in
Kobe, together with Wolfgang who is on the GCSC Commission.

Thank you and look forward to seeing you in Kobe,

Theresa