[ALT-Plus] [ALAC-Members] CCEGIG

Kan Kaili kankaili at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 16:52:41 UTC 2019

Thank you, Maureen, for reaching out on this issue.

I also strongly support option #4 because of the following reasons:

-- Currently ICANN is focused on domain name issues.  However, as this is a rapidly shrinking industry, the future of ICAAN is bleak.  On the other hand, Internet governance is an ever-lasting issue and is gaining more and more importance.  Thus, even for ICANN's own stake, it is vital to expand into this area.

-- ALAC is rooted on ALSes.  However, as domain name is getting less and less important to end-users, it will be harder and harder to get ALSes' participation.  As a matter of fact, more and more end-users are less concerned about domain names but on other Internet governance issues.  Thus, narrowly focusing on domain names would even make our current ALSes hard to survive, while engaging in broader IG issues will bring more particiaption and broader support for our ALSes.

-- While contracted parties are less concerened of IG issues, ALAC representing end-users playing a leading role on these will enhance our position within ICANN.

Thus, I not only support option #4, but also believe that ALAC should make this a central role in the long run.

Thank you.

Kaili