[ALT-Plus] At-Large Leadership Team Development Session

Maureen Hilyard maureen.hilyard at gmail.com
Sat Nov 20 04:04:15 UTC 2021

Dear At-Large Leaders,

In preparation for our first At-Large Leadership Team session of this new
ICANN year together, please find some time to

   1. *read* the following rather lengthy message.
   2. complete a quick* survey* which would be helpful for us to prep
   appropriately for the session, and then
   3. complete a *doodle* to find a reasonable time for everyone to try to
   be there.

Many thanks in advance 🤓.

Last year we called a meeting to  organise ourselves so that we could get
the whole team of At-Large leaders - ALAC members, Liaisons and former
Chairs, WG Chairs and all the RALO leaders - in one space and strategising
how we could mobilise our members within At-Large to become engaged in our
workplan activities and to contribute meaningfully to the work of the ICANN
community as well as to Org's operational and organisational goals. This
seemed to work, but perhaps too well, as we all found ourselves completely
run off our feet - especially when ICANN threw in their three virtual
meetings, just in case we didn't have enough else to do.

This year the focus is again on our workplan activities but together I'd
really like us to look at how we can work "smarter". We are all suffering
from burnout and zoom fatigue. A general malaise is falling on many about
this continuous virtual engagement.  We all yearn for a face-to-face
meeting but realistically we are still a long way off for a return to the
entire community meeting in one space. Incremental steps via local and
regional meetings may be a start. But the focus of this session will be
more on how we can encourage our volunteer community to stick with us in
order to help us do what we have to do for ICANN.

The Leadership Development session will again be facilitated by Melissa
Allgood who has a role within ICANN to help teams to efficiently and
effectively work together on common goals. She will walk us through our
roles and responsibilities as leaders within this wide and diverse
community that is At-Large and then take us through some activities that
will conclude with us discussing how we might be able to work smarter to
achieve our own goals and to make it easier for us to contribute to those
of ICANN.

To get things started, it might be helpful for everyone to do a quick
review of the leadership competencies that we provide to the NomCom, to
help in their selection of suitable people for the ALAC. This list is quite
generic and is applicable to all of us. Please take a look through the list
(below) before our development session.

*At-Large Leaders General Competencies and Interests*

   - a commitment to ICANN's mission and an understanding of the potential
   impact of ICANN decisions on the global Internet community
   - an understanding of the DNS and the impact of ICANN policy on end-users
   - demonstrated capacity for thoughtful group decision-making and sound
   judgment
   - an interest in bottom-up consensus policy building in a real-life
   environment
   - an ability to chair or otherwise provide leadership and support for a
   multi-stakeholder group working to reach consensus
   - the following knowledge, qualities and experiences are specifically
   sought:
      - A strong advocate for the needs and interest of individual Internet
      users not only those of the region they will represent, but globally
      - Experience and skills that bear on gathering, understanding, and
      communicating the interests of individual users and in group
      decision-making.
      - Consumer protection and or consumer advocacy experience
      particularly in communications/telecommunication sector
      - Specific experience and/or expertise in internet-related policy
      development.
      - An interest in and knowledge of internet governance issues.
      - Leadership experience in local or regional internet-related or DNS
      policy experience in gTLD or ccTLD activities including issues
relating to
      Internationalized Domain Names.
      - Ability to work as a team leader bringing perspectives not
      otherwise reflected in the existing ALAC membership and is intended to
      diversify the skill and experience sets of the ALAC.
      - Strong local networks that will positively enhance the current ALAC
      and Regionally focused strategic and project planning as they
relate to the
      wider ICANN Strategic plan and ALAC Improvement Implementation.
      - Ability and interest to work in a multi-cultural environment.
      - a willingness to serve as a volunteer, without compensation other
      than the reimbursement of certain expenses
      - an ability to work and communicate effectively in English (although
      there is no requirement that English be the candidate's first language

*NEXT*: Please complete this very short* At-Large Leadership survey
<https://forms.gle/PVnQq3MCVXtW7UZDA>* that will provide information for
brainstorming, etc. *by* *Friday, 26 November 2021*.

*FINALLY*: (sorry about this, but) please also *complete this Doodle
<https://doodle.com/poll/vzuq69zn3zusyac7> by* *Friday, 26 November 2021*,
The session will take place during the week of 13 December 2021.

Kind regards,

Maureen  🤓 ❤