[ALT-Plus] Summary Report of GNSO Council 16 Feb 2023 meeting

Justine Chew justine.chew.icann at gmail.com
Sun Feb 19 11:48:39 UTC 2023

All,

I am submitting a written report ahead of the ALAC monthly meeting of 21
Feb and am happy to answer questions before, during or after the call.

*Special Summary Report of 16 Feb 2023 Meeting to ALT-PLUS
<https://community.icann.org/display/atlarge/GNSO+Liaison+Report%2C+post-Oct+2021#Feb2023-SumRep_Feb2023>*

For brevity, I will just highlight a few things here. For some of the
issues, you can glean a wider perspective from GNSO Council Feb 2023
Matters of Interest
<https://community.icann.org/display/atlarge/GNSO+Liaison+Report%2C+post-Oct+2021#Feb2023-MOI_Feb2023>
and/or
from GNSO Council Feb 2023 Meeting Records
<https://community.icann.org/display/atlarge/GNSO+Liaison+Report%2C+post-Oct+2021#Feb2023-Meet_Feb2023>
.

*1. Consent Agenda*

   - Council confirmed Taiwo Peter Akinremi as a Fellowship Selection
   Committee member for six consecutive ICANN meetings, beginning with ICANN78.
   - Council adopts the revised Charter
   <https://gnso.icann.org/sites/default/files/policy/2023/draft/draft-scbo-charter-24jan23-en.pdf>
    for the Budget and Operations Townhall (formerly known as the GNSO
   Standing Committee on Budget and Operations (SCBO)).

*2. Transfer Policy Review PDP*

   - Council approved the Transfer Policy Review PDP amended Charter
   <https://gnso.icann.org/sites/default/files/policy/2023/correspondence/novoa-et-al-to-council-et-al-06feb23-en.pdf>
    and Project Change Request (PCR
   <https://gnso.icann.org/sites/default/files/policy/2023/correspondence/carney-et-al-to-gnso-council-et-al-06feb23-en.pdf>),
   which following recent developments, are designed to update the PDP WG's
   work plan to consolidate all work into a single phase and change the order
   in which topics are considered.

*3. Subsequent Procedures Operational Design Assessment (SubPro ODA)*

   - Council received an update on SubPro related discussions during the
   recent Jan 2023 Board workshop from the 2 GNSO appointees to the ICANN
   Board, Becky Burr and Matthew Shears.  As discussed in the Chair's blog
   <https://www.icann.org/en/blogs/details/chairs-blog-recap-of-the-january-board-workshop-12-02-2023-en>,
   the ICANN Board spent a full day reviewing the SubPro Outputs and SubPro
   ODA
   <https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/subpro-oda-12dec22-en.pdf>.
   - Becky indicated that the Board is expected to proceed with decision on
   many of the SubPro Outputs but mentioned that there were still a small
   number of issues/topics on which the Board is looking to defer its decision
   on. While she advised that a list of tasks/issues will be shared with
   Council in the near future, and that a Board SubPro Caucus-Council meeting
   will be convened to discuss this list, Becky indicated in passing that
   items which the Board cannot decide on yet includes auctions, some GAC
   standing advice, and the  implications of the recent Independent Review
   Panel (IRP) decision
   <https://www.icann.org/en/announcements/details/icann-receives-final-declaration-in-the-namecheap-independent-review-process-05-01-2023-en>
   .
   - Council will consider whether this Board SubPro Caucus-Council meeting
   should include not only SubPro PDP WG co-chairs but also active members of
   that PDP WG.

*Action by ALAC Liaison*

   -
      - To monitor and share updates regarding this Board SubPro
      Caucus-Council meeting arrangements.

*4. Council Committee for Overseeing and Implementing Continuous
Improvements (CCOICI)*

   - By way of background, the work of the CCOICI (a GNSO pilot) covers
   *several* areas of focus, including *Updates to GNSO Operating
   Procedures*; which covers (a) Working Group Self-Assessment (WGSA) and
   (b) GNSO Statement of Interest (GNSO SOI), which were part of the public
   comment proceeding
   <https://www.icann.org/en/public-comment/proceeding/updates-to-the-gnso-statement-of-interest-soi-procedures-and-requirements-09-09-2022>
on
   Proposed Updates to the GNSO Operating Procedures which ran from Sep-Nov
   2022.
   - Council received an update on both (a) and (b), and while the work on
   (a) WGSA has more or less concluded (where I can confirm that action has
   been taken to incorporate the ALAC's input
   <https://atlarge.icann.org/advice_statements/13863> in respect of the
   existing WGSA survey), the CCOICI is still grappling with public comments