[ALT-Plus] Summary Report of GNSO Council 19 Jan 2023 meeting

Justine Chew justine.chew.icann at gmail.com
Sun Jan 22 01:10:55 UTC 2023

All,

I am submitting a written report ahead of the ALAC monthly meeting of 24
Jan. Given the relatively unfriendly timing of that ALAC call, I am likely
going to be an apology but am happy to answer questions by email, if any,
before or after the ALAC call.

*Special Summary Report of 19 Jan 2023 Meeting to ALT-PLUS
<https://community.icann.org/display/atlarge/GNSO+Liaison+Report%2C+post-Oct+2021#Jan2023-SumRep_Jan2023>*

For brevity, I will just highlight a few things here. For some of the
issues, you can glean a wider perspective from GNSO Council Jan 2023
Matters of Interest
<https://community.icann.org/display/atlarge/GNSO+Liaison+Report%2C+post-Oct+2021#Jan2023-MOI_Jan2023>
and/or
from GNSO Council Jan 2023 Meeting Records
<https://community.icann.org/display/atlarge/GNSO+Liaison+Report%2C+post-Oct+2021#Jan2023-Meet_Jan2023>
.

*1. Consent Agenda*

   - Council confirmed Osvado Novoa as GNSO Council Liaison to the
   Transfers Policy Review.
   - Council approved the appointment of Arinola Akinyemi as a Mentor for
   the ICANN Fellowship Program.

*2. Subsequent Procedures Operational Design Assessment (SubPro ODA)*

   - Council's Small Team on SubPro ODA *(in which I also participated)* -
   which was tasked with reviewing the SubPro ODA in detail, concentrating on
   identifying areas of ICANN org analysis that may not be true to the intent
   of the SubPro Final Report, as well as developing impressions of Option 2
   contained in that ODA - produced input which formed/resulted in the letter
   of 20 Jan
   <https://gnso.icann.org/sites/default/files/policy/2023/correspondence/ducos-to-sinha-20jan23-en.pdf>
from
   the GNSO Chair to the ICANN Board Chair.
   - Essentially, Council is urging to the Board to approve the SubPro
   Outputs (i.e. the recommendations and implementation guidance that were
   approved by Council) and proceed swiftly with implementation. Despite some
   misgivings in the assumptions made by ICANN Org in producing the SubPro
   ODA, Council thinks that any outstanding implementation issues raised in
   the ODA by ICANN Org can be resolved during implementation in collaboration
   with the (to-be established) Subsequent Procedures Implementation Review
   Team (SubPro IRT).

*Action by ALAC Liaison*: To monitor and share updates regarding the SubPro
IRT with ALAC

*3. GNSO Council Work related to Subsequent Procedures (SubPro)*

   - During Council's Strategic Planning Session (SPS) (in which I do not
   participate), it was concluded that Council should take care to ensure that
   any SubPro related work within its control should be carefully managed for
   timely delivery. *The Council does not want its work to serve as an
   impediment to the timely implementation and launch of the next round of new
   gTLDs*, In line with this, Council is to receive frequent updates on the
   work that is connected to the next round of new gTLDs, including:
      - IDNs EPDP Phase 1 (top-level charter questions)
      - GNSO Guidance Process on Applicant Support
      - Closed Generics Facilitated Discussion

*Action by ALAC Liaison*: To monitor and share updates regarding the above
processes with ALAC

*4. Transfer Policy Review Policy Development Process (PDP)*

   - Work by this 2-phased PDP has been progressing steadily, with its Phase
   1A Initial Report
   <https://www.icann.org/en/public-comment/proceeding/initial-report-on-the-transfer-policy-review-21-06-2022>
having
   undergone public comment and impending completion of revisions to
   preliminary recommendations from that Initial Report.
   - In the course of Phase 1 work conducted to date, the WG discovered
   that certain Phase 2 topics must be addressed before Phase 1
   recommendations can be fully developed. As a result, Council has been
   alerted to an upcoming a Project Change Request (PCR) to update its work
   plan to consolidate all work into a single phase and change the order in
   which topics are considered. This will impact the timeline for key
   deliverables.

*5. Council Committee for Overseeing and Implementing Continuous
Improvements (CCOICI)*

   - By way of background, the work of the CCOICI (a GNSO pilot) covers 2
   areas of focus: (1) GNSO Working Group Self-Assessment (WGSA) and (2) GNSO
   Statement of Interest (GNSO SOI)
   - The agenda item on the WGSA was deferred to Council's Feb 2023
   meeting, but in the interim, I can confirm that action has been taken to
   incorporate the ALAC's input
   <https://atlarge.icann.org/advice_statements/13863> in respect of the
   existing WGSA survey.

*Action by ALAC Liaison*: To monitor and share updates regarding the GNSO
SOI with ALAC

Thanks for reading / your consideration.

Justine Chew
ALAC Liaison to the GNSO
GNSO Liaison Report Workspace
<https://community.icann.org/display/atlarge/GNSO+Liaison+Report%2C+post-Oct+2021>