[ALT-Plus] Summary Report of GNSO Council 25 May 2023 meeting

Justine Chew justine.chew.icann at gmail.com
Mon May 29 14:27:28 UTC 2023

All,

In an unusual turn of events, I am submitting a written report after the
ALAC monthly meeting of 23 May. Noting this, please feel free to contact me
further should you have any questions regarding this report.

Please note also that several items - Next Round of New gTLDs, Closed
Generics and DNS Abuse will be the subjects of my presentation at this
week's CPWG call, in preparation for the ALAC-GNSO Council Bilateral Call
on 6 June.

*Special Summary Report of 25 May 2023 Meeting to ALT-PLUS
<https://community.icann.org/display/atlarge/GNSO+Liaison+Report%2C+post-Oct+2021#>*

For brevity, I will just highlight a few things here. For some of the
issues, you can glean a wider perspective from GNSO Council May 2023
Matters of Interest
<https://community.icann.org/display/atlarge/GNSO+Liaison+Report%2C+post-Oct+2021#May2023-MOI_May2023>
and/or
from GNSO Council May 2023 Meeting Records
<https://community.icann.org/display/atlarge/GNSO+Liaison+Report%2C+post-Oct+2021#May2023-Meet_May2023>
.

*1. Next Round of New gTLDs - Subsequent Procedures*

   - Since ICANN76 where the *ICANN Board 16 March 2023 Resolution
   <https://www.icann.org/en/board-activities-and-meetings/materials/approved-resolutions-regular-meeting-of-the-icann-board-16-03-2023-en#section2.a>*
was
   adopted, Council's SubPro Small Team has now completed a triage of the
   issues with Board member input on why the Board placed specific
   recommendations into a pending status. Council discussed the main output
   of that triage effort, the proposed paths forward for each pending
   recommendation, during an Extraordinary Meeting on 4 May
   <https://community.icann.org/display/atlarge/GNSO+Liaison+Report%2C+post-Oct+2021#GNSOLiaisonReport,postOct2021-A-23-05E>
    ( see report
   <https://community.icann.org/display/atlarge/GNSO+Liaison+Report%2C+post-Oct+2021#May2023E-Show_Jun2023B>
).
   During that meeting, Council agreed to further task the small team with
   taking interim steps (e.g., provision is clarifying information, developing
   speaking points) in order to support the Council’s dialogue with the
   ICANN Board on 22 May <https://community.icann.org/x/y4lXDg>.
   - The important thing to note here is that this Council dialogue with
   the ICANN Board SubPro caucus and/or ICANN Board is ongoing as the goal is
   to try and resolve as many of those 38 pending recommendations as possible
   without resulting in the ICANN Board rejecting them. This inevitably
   necessitates rather regular updates because information may change quickly.

*Action by ALAC Liaison*To assist in formulating ALAC positions on the 38
Pending Outputs (if any) in time for the pre-ICANN77 ALAC-GNSO Bilateral.

*2. Closed Generics*

   - The GNSO-GAC-ALAC Closed Generics Dialogue is expected to deliver a
   draft framework, if agreed, around or just after 31 May 2023. It should be
   noted that this draft framework is meant to draw some boundaries on how to
   introduce closed generics in the next round and it will have to go through
   a GNSO policy development process to produce actual consensus policy, which
   is expected to take 18 months.
   - GNSO Council leadership has proposed that EPDP be the policy
   development mechanism to take the framework forward, and although not
   confirmed, will likely be cross-community in nature. The proposition of an
   EPDP drew some apprehension from several councilors.
   - So far, the Dialogue has adopted Chatham House Rule so we will not
   know the actual contents of the framework until it is released circa end
   May.
   - However, I understand that the framework will likely include some
   reference to application questions, evaluation, post delegation - registry
   agreement aspects, and can be easily morph into a charter for the policy
   development process.

*3. DNS Abuse*

   - Council ran out of time at its call, so the adoption of the Council's
   Small Team on DNS Abuse's next output i.e. feedback on bulk registrations
   <https://gnso.icann.org/sites/default/files/policy/2023/draft/draft-dns-abuse-small-team-findings-15may23-en.pdf>
will
   be done on Council's mail list by around 5 Jun.

*Action by ALAC Liaison*To assist in formulating ALAC positions on the 38
Pending Outputs (if any) in time for the pre-ICANN77 ALAC-GNSO Bilateral.

*4. EPDP Phase 2 - Registration Data Request Service (RDRS)*

   - The EPDP Phase 2 Small Team has formulated success criteria for RDRS
   but these are not set in stone. They need to remain flexible as and when
   the RDRS is implemented and tested so they can be adjusted to meet market
   needs.
   - The small team has pushed back against the Board's suggestion to have
   a policy process to compel mandatory adoption of usage of the RDRS by
   registrars.

*5. Registration Data Accuracy*

   - Seeing no progress on this, Council will defer consideration of this
   till the June meeting. This is also in light of some work being attempted
   at the European Union level with a survey and a report but the meeting for
   that had just been cancelled.
   - Some councilors expressed concern with indefinite delay / inaction on
   this area of work.

*6. Internationalized Domain Names (IDNs) EPDP*

   - This EPDP has submitted a project plan which identifies all its
   charter questions that will impact the next Applicant Guidebook (AGB),
   along with considerations to ensure a consistent solution on IDN Variant
   TLDs with the ccPDP4 on IDN ccTLDs, and a timeline by when the IDNs EPDP
   will deliver relevant recommendations to the GNSO Council (this was 1 of 4
   requests made by the Board, as a result of the adopted *ICANN Board 16
   March 2023 Resolution
   <https://www.icann.org/en/board-activities-and-meetings/materials/approved-resolutions-regular-meeting-of-the-icann-board-16-03-2023-en#section2.a>*
   ,
   - In short, the EPDP has analysed their Phase 2 charter questions and
   found no significant efficiency if it were to further break down Phase 2
   work in order to deliver some recommendations which would impact the AGB
   and Registry Agreement update.  Adding any  additional public comment
   process would prolong the project timeline unnecessarily. As such, the
   expected timeline is, conservatively:
      - Phase 1 Final Report: 10 Nov 2023
      - Phase 2 Initial Report:  18 Apr 2025
      - Phase 2 Final Report: 24 Oct 2025
   - In the meantime, the EPDP will continue to find ways to achieve
   greater efficiencies through more preparatory work, considering
   foundational issues, and securing more sessions at ICANN F2F meetings and a
   dedicated F2F meeting in Nov-Dec 2023, while bearing in mind the need to
   minimize churn/burnout/drop in participation. As it is, this EPDP is
   already meeting 2 hours per week and already seeking ICANN org GDS input on
   draft recommendations and implementation guidance as deliberations go on
   instead of waiting until the ICANN Board approves them.

*7. Nominating Committee rebalancing*

   - Council will set up a small team to consider Council's response to the
   issue of NomCom rebalancing.

Thanks for reading / your consideration.

Justine Chew
ALAC Liaison to the GNSO
GNSO Liaison Report Workspace
<https://community.icann.org/display/atlarge/GNSO+Liaison+Report%2C+post-Oct+2021>