[ALT-Plus] Summary Report of GNSO Council 25 May 2023 meeting

Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond ocl at gih.com
Tue May 30 09:37:53 UTC 2023

Thanks for your responses, Justine. A follow-up question below:

On 30/05/2023 10:23, Justine Chew wrote:

>>     *4. EPDP Phase 2 - Registration Data Request Service (RDRS)*
>>
>>       * The EPDP Phase 2 Small Team has formulated success criteria
>>         for RDRS but these are not set in stone. They need to remain
>>         flexible as and when the RDRS is implemented and tested so
>>         they can be adjusted to meet market needs.
>>       * The small team has pushed back against the Board's suggestion
>>         to have a policy process to compel mandatory adoption of
>>         usage of the RDRS by registrars.
>>

>     Does that mean that RDRS will be optional?
>
> JC: Use of RDRS will be optional for registrars, yes. Even though RrSG
> reported that they are running some initiative(s) to encourage
> adoption among Rrs.

So what does this mean for the aim to have a unified single Rr Agreement
across all Rrs?
If we take RDDS as the successor to WHOIS, are we moving away from what
WHOIS was, which was unified across all TLDs?
https://whois.icann.org/en/dns-and-whois-how-it-works

Kindest regards,

Olivier