[atrt2] Draft agenda for first ATRT2 face to face meeting

Steve Crocker steve at shinkuro.com
Mon Mar 11 13:20:43 UTC 2013

On Mar 11, 2013, at 9:00 AM, Avri Doria <avri at acm.org> wrote:

> Hi Steve,
>
> Thanks for the question.
>
> I guess it would be any who are still left who had a hand in implementing the changes recommended by ATRT1.  Who fits that description is something I do not know the answer to.
>
> Does the staff have an organized effort for implementation of ATRT recommendations?  Is there a staff person whose job it is to make sure that the ATRT accountability and transparency recommendations are met?   Or does it happen organically, in so far as it may or may not happen?  Is there a committee?  What is the internal process for meeting these obligations?
>
> I do not know the answers to these questions.  Perhaps it is because I have not read the right document yet, or perhaps it is because that is a degree of transparency that is still missing.  But it is the reason that I would not know who to specifically invite.
>
> Is there a report that summarize (bullets would be good) all the actions the Staff has taken to date?  I have not read that doc yet.  I know there have been some periodic reports, but something that we are to use as input?  Forgive me if I overlooked it in study preparing for this meeting.  If someone gives me a pointer that that, I will read it immediately - and perhaps get a clue on who should be there.
>
> thanks
>
> avri

Avri,

There's a web page that has the full background and current status of the ATRT1 effort.  See http://www.icann.org/en/news/in-focus/accountability .  The key report, easily accessible on that page, is the 2012 implementation report.  I've attached it here for ease of reference.  The last part of that report is an itemized breakdown of the implementation status.  This portion of the report is also available as a separate file, also accessible from the same web page.  It's designated as a summary.

Denise Michel has been in charge of the overall tracking of the implementation of the 27 recommendations from the ATRT1.  I believe she will be in attendance during our session in Los Angeles.  The 27 recommendations cover several different areas, and different people have been in charge of the different areas.  I'll let Denise supply further information.

Until Fadi came on board, I made a point of tracking the implementation progress for the ATRT1 recommendations.  When Fadi came on board, he chose to make it one of his priorities to get the recommendations fully implemented and immediately took an active role in tracking and pushing on them, so I stepped back.

Both Larry Strickling and I have spoken about how to ensure the implementation of those recommendations become effective and permanent.  Larry's formulation is, as best I can recall, "If I talk to someone a year later, will they be able to say what they are doing differently."  My formulation is aimed at the same point but couched differently.  I want to see those changes so thoroughly integrated that after a few years no one distinguishes between what we do because of the ATRT1 recommendations versus what we do as part of our normal way of doing business.

Speaking as Board chair, I am pleased with the staff's effort to implement the recommendations.  Speaking as a member of ATRT2, I think it is entirely appropriate for the new review team to make its own assessment on the implementation of the recommendations of the prior review team.

Steve