[atrt2] AT-Large discussion paper on ICANN legitimacy challenges and proposals

Brian Cute bcute at pir.org
Mon Mar 18 19:26:28 UTC 2013

All,

I would like to "strike while the iron is hot" to address action items
that require immediate attention prior to Beijing.  Here is a list of
items I believe require immediate attention:

1.  List of questions to be put out for Public Comment prior to Beijing.
(Larry offered to draft and circulate for inputs from the team.)

2.  Suggestion: Face-to-face meetings with former Review Team members in
Beijing.  We discussed interviewing former members of the 3 prior Review
Teams as an input to our 3 "known" work streams.  If agreed, we need to
reach out to those former members to schedule the interaction.  Some
invitees may attend Beijing and others may not.  We can certainly conduct
interviews remotely if necessary but getting the invitations out and
scheduling time is the first order of business.

3.  Suggestion: Face-to-face meetings with current chairs of the Advisory
Councils and Supporting Organizations in Beijing.  While we have a
placeholder for an open meeting with the Community in Beijing that we
should take advantage of, we also know that we will want to have
structured interactions with each of the stakeholder bodies in ICANN at
the July meeting in Durban.   It may be useful in Beijing, to meet with
the respective chairs to obtain some preliminary views and to discuss how
to best prepare for our interaction in Durban.  Again, if we wish to meet
with the chairs, we need to put out invitations shortly as ICANN
attendees' calendars are undoubtedly getting booked as we speak.

4.  With respect to the list of issues that we created at the end of Day 2
in Los Angeles (and thank you Avri for taking the mic to guide the team
through the task), we need to make a selection of which issues will become
discrete work streams and require focused work of ATRT2.  While we have a
fairly lengthy list, we also have finite resources and time.  Given the
fact that a complete review of ICANN's implementation of the prior 3
Review Teams' recommendations must be undertaken, we will only be able to
take on a few additional issues/work streams if we hope to undertake the
necessary data gathering, analysis and drafting to deliver soundly
constructed, constructive and useful recommendations.

With respect to the R3 paper discussed by Avri and Steve, I think it is
important first to identify the issues that will be the subject of work
streams and then identify how and in what context we bring papers such as
the R3 paper and others into our deliberations.

I ask for feedback on the suggestions above and I know that Alice and
Charla will be happy to facilitate the outreach for our Beijing meeting.

Regards,
Brian